En Pl
Strona główna | Tablica | Hyde Park | O stronie

Exclusive Story: Michael Jackson’s “She Was Lovin’ Me” Wyjątkowa historia piosenki: "She Was Lovin’ Me"
Author: Damien Sheilds (2013) Autor: Damien Sheilds (2013)
On February 24th, 1999 the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles played host to the 41st Grammy Awards, attended by the music industry’s biggest artists, producers and executives.

At the time Elliot Straite, a talented songwriter and producer better known in the music industry as “Dr. Freeze”, was fortunate enough to have recently begun collaborating with the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, on ideas for his next album.

They recorded in several studios including The Hit Factory in New York and Record One in Los Angeles, as well as at Jackson’s personal studio at his Neverland Ranch.

However, at the time of the 1999 Grammy Awards, the pair were working out of Marvin’s Room – an iconic Hollywood recording studio owned by John McClain – a mutual friend of Freeze and Jackson.

Jackson’s record label, Sony Music, was hoping to release the work-in-progress album at some stage before the new millennium, however after several postponements it became apparent that Jackson was not concerned with meeting their desired deadlines. As of early 1999 the label had not heard any of the new material.

But that was about to change.

Cory Rooney, Senior Vice President of Sony Music Entertainment at the time, recalls being invited to the studio by Jackson for a rare listening session with some of the Epic Records executives.

“Michael invited us to the studio to listen to some music because we were all out there for the Grammys.”

The prospect of hearing what Jackson was working on was mouth-watering for the executives at the label.

“You know, for Michael to wanna unveil some music, that was a big treat for us because he never did anything like that,” Rooney explained. “You would rarely get the chance to hear what he was working on.”

Naturally the Epic Records team, including Rooney, took Jackson up on his extraordinary offer and attended Marvin’s Room, where Jackson was set to debut the music for them.

“It was myself, Tommy Mottola, John Doelp, Polly Anthony and David Glew – all the top Epic Records people,” recalls Rooney.

“So we walked in the studio and he played one record. Just one record.”

The song Jackson showcased in the session was the Freeze-produced “Break Of Dawn” – a track that would ultimately be released on the ‘Invincible’ album two-and-a-half years later.

Although they went in expecting to be shown more than just one song, the Epic executives were thrilled with what they heard. Tommy Mottola in particular commented that if the rest of the record was as good as “Break of Dawn”, they had a guaranteed smash hit album on their hands.

Mottola’s appetite had been whet. He wanted to hear more.

“Michael promised us that he would send another record a few weeks later”, tells Rooney.

During their flight home, from Los Angeles to New York, Mottola proposed that Rooney, who had been achieving huge success producing hits for a host of other artists, should produce a song with Michael.

Rooney jumped at the chance and got straight to work.

“So I got home, went in my house, and I created this song – ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’. I did the music at my house, then I brought the musical track to the Sony studios to work on the demo.”

Rooney had barely finished piecing the track together when Mottola heard it for the first time.

“Tommy (Mottola) came in the studio with Danny DeVito,” recalls Rooney. “It’s funny; Danny was intrigued. He loved the track so much he was like, ‘Play that again, play that again. Oh my god this is amazing!’”

Mottola was impressed as well, and insisted that Jackson hear the track as soon as possible.

“Tommy took a very, very nasty, rough, scratch demo, and he said, ‘Man this is a great song I’m sending it to Michael right now.’ And he sent it to him – just in it’s rough stage.”

Initially Rooney was apprehensive, concerned that sending Jackson his incomplete demo may deter Jackson from wanting to record the track.

“I was actually like, ‘I don’t know if that was a good idea’, because, you know, if he’s gonna hear it in its rough stage then I might have blown my opportunity.”

Mottola sent Rooney’s rough demo to Jackson that night, a Thursday. Jackson, who was still in Los Angeles at the time, got it the next morning.

“Tommy (Mottola) sent it on the Thursday, Michael heard it on the Friday, and I promise you by that Monday he was in New York”, recalls Rooney. “He called my house and he said, ‘I’m ready. I’m prepared. I’m ready to sing the song.’ And he was ready. I was blown away.”

Despite already being an accomplished producer, songwriter and record executive, the opportunity to work with the King of Pop was a humbling honor for Rooney.

“I had already had so much success in my career with Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Mary J. Blige and Destiny Child – then all of a sudden you’ve got Michael Jackson calling you and saying, ‘I love your song.’ I couldn’t believe it.”

The Hit Factory recording studio at 421 West 54th Street in New York City would become Jackson and Rooney’s home for nearly a month, between late March and mid April in 1999.

Rooney was anxious about what the experience might be like with Jackson, and what his creative process was when recording other people’s songs.

“Sometimes guys like Marc Anthony will say they love the song, but, they wanna change this verse and they wanna change this melody.”

To Rooney’s surprise, Jackson came in the studio and expressed that he loved the demo exactly as it was, and did not want to make any changes.

“Rewind it. Rewind it. I like the way you phrase that. Hold on. Let me do that again. I wanna make sure I get the timing like you got it,” Rooney remembers Jackson saying.

“I was blown away. I’m like, ‘This is amazing!’ For this guy to accept and love every inch of my song, every part of it, you know, it was so surreal. It makes you emotional.”

When it came time to lay the vocals for the track, Jackson had just one request. Under the advice of his longtime singing coach, Seth Riggs, Jackson proposed that he record the vocals for track over two separate days.

“The song ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’ goes from him singing really low in the verses to singing really high in the choruses,” explained Rooney. “So it was two different types of vocals. It was like Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’ voice and his ‘Dirty Diana’ voice in one record.”

“He was very polite. He asked me, he said, ‘Um, if it’s okay with you I’d like to sing the verses today because I’ve warmed my voice up for the low part. And then I’d like to sing the high chorus parts tomorrow, because when I’m doing songs and I’m screaming up, like a ‘Dirty Diana’ type of thing, I like to warm my voice up for that in particular.’”

“I thought it was amazing that he was asking me if it was okay, and for my permission to do it that way when you know, here he is, he’s Michael Jackson.”

“In fact, I was expecting him to tell me how he works – what he does and what he doesn’t do – because so many artists are like that. If this was Jennifer Lopez, or even Lindsay Lohan, they’d be giving me orders. But not Michael.”

After about twenty minutes of warm-up exercises Jackson, dressed in a red button-down shirt and black pants, removed his sunglasses and stepped into the booth.

“He was in the vocal booth at The Hit Factory and we dimmed the lights for him just enough for him to be able to read his lyric sheet,” recalls Rooney.

“I met her on the way to Chicago, and she was all alone, and so was I so I asked her for her name,” sang Jackson in a sexy low tone to the sound of clicking fingers.

“His vocals were so smooth and so perfect, but the most amazing part about him being in the booth was his dancing. He danced between the takes. He danced through the takes. He snapped his fingers. He stomped his feet. You could barely hear a take without him snapping his finger or stomping his feet to the rhythm.”

“When Bruce Swedien recorded Michael he would create a whole stage, like a platform, for him to stand on just so it doesn’t pick up on the mic so much – so he’s not standing on the same floor as the microphone,” explained Rooney. “But I didn’t have a platform like that at the time. On all of my takes, when you strip down the music, you hear him singing but you also hear him snapping his fingers, shuffling paper, you hear him stomping his feet and the rhythm just takes over him.”

“Some singers are in and out of the vocal booth. In and out. In and out. But Michael stayed in the vocal booth until he got the job done.”

Once they had completed the first session – the lower parts of the track and the background vocals – Jackson asked Rooney what time he should return the following day to record the choruses.

“I said, ‘Michael what time would you prefer to work?’ And he said, ‘Cory it doesn’t matter to me – you’re the producer. I’m here to work with you. You’re the boss. So you tell me what time you want me to be here. If you want me to be here at 7 in the morning I’ll go home and get some rest and I’ll be here for 7.’ It was mind-blowing.”

The next morning, Jackson didn’t show up. He’d fallen ill and wasn’t feeling well enough to attend the planned session.

“Normally, if you’re working with someone like J-Lo or Mariah [Carey], you can be in the studio for days just waiting for them to show up. And they won’t so much as call to let you know they’re on their way, or running late, or not coming at all.”

Michael Jackson, on the other hand, was not only courteous enough to call – he sent a gift package to express his apologies for missing the session.

“He sent me a basket so big that I had to call a truck service just to come take it home,” recalls Rooney. “It was full of DVDs, a DVD player, a little popcorn maker, all of these cool little books on the movies – almost like comic books – like little vintage magazines about vintage movies and stuff. So that was really, really cool man.”

Accompanying the basket was a hand-written note from Jackson.

“The note on it, which I still have, I still save, it was just something he sent me to say, ‘Forgive me for not being able to come’, because of his illness.”

Rooney called Jackson to thank him for the package, and the two ended up talking on the phone for quite some time.

After a couple of days rest Jackson returned to the studio, again with singing coach Seth Riggs in tow.

Jackson would invite Riggs to every session, and he would warm Michael’s voice up based on what type of sound he was aiming to achieve during the session. In this case, it was the gritty “rock” style for the chorus parts.

Jackson, a true professional, knocked out the vocals quickly and flawlessly.

“You could feel the magic in the room. Everyone was excited about it. It was crazy!” remembers Rooney.

Once all the vocals had been recorded the only thing left to do was to review and compile them.

“Michael comped the final vocal himself,” revealed Rooney. “He comped all his own stuff. He sat there with a pen and paper and went through all his takes and picked out all his favourites. He pieced it all together. It took him about half an hour because he did multiple performances of it.”

“If you go back and listen to the takes you can hear him say little things and imitate the instruments and sounds. We even used some of the vocals I recorded from his warm-up with Seth Riggs. We used them as ad libs in the middle of the song because they sounded so amazing. He was very pleased with it.”

Once Jackson was satisfied with the vocal comp he referred Rooney to his trusted arranger, Brad Buxer, to polish the transitions.

Buxer, a talented musician in his own right, is best known for his contributions to some of Jackson’s most acclaimed pieces, including “Who Is It”, “Stranger In Moscow” and “Earth Song”.

“Michael sent me to meet with Brad Buxer, who helped me do a few little edits here and there to clean up what we had comped together as his vocal.”

Although the recording process did not take long at all, Jackson and Rooney spent nearly a month in the studio working on the track.

“We spent so much time – I would say we worked for a good two weeks – on tweaking alone. Not just the vocals but different things, comps. And it took two weeks because we spent more time laughing and joking and talking and having such a good time in the studio. We stretched it out just to have fun. In the end we spent most of April in the studio kind of plotting and planning. We used that as our kind of headquarters to really get the record in line.”

At one point during their sessions at the Hit Factory, Jackson and Rooney left the studio to watch magician David Blaine performing a stunt where he buried himself alive.

Blaine was laid to rest about six feet into the ground at a Donald Trump development, facing New York’s elevated West Side Highway, by the Hudson River.

“It was like a big display and everyone was going to see him. You know, where you could look down at the ground and you could see him through the Plexiglas. And Michael was like ‘Wow!’ So we went down there.”

Although it was Rooney’s job to produce hit songs for artists, he felt that Jackson needed more than just his name at the top of the charts.

He felt Jackson needed both an ally at the record label, and a friend.

“I could have taken advantage of the situation and tried to produce six songs and get Michael to record them, but I didn’t care for that. I just wanted to give him anything at that time that he needed. And I felt like he needed to have fun and to have a friend more so than some guy trying to push songs on him. That was genuinely what I truly felt in my heart. We had a great time.”

Six weeks earlier, back at the Marvin’s Room studio in Los Angeles, Jackson had promised he would send Tommy Mottola more of his newly crafted material. True to his word, shortly after wrapping up the “She Was Lovin’ Me” sessions with Rooney, Jackson sent Mottola another track.

“I was in Mottola’s office talking to him about something, and he was eating lunch, and he said, ‘Oh while you’re here, Michael sent another record. Lets listen to it.’”

“So he puts in the CD and all you hear is, ‘Your love is magical. That’s how I feel.’ It’s, you know, the song ‘Speechless’. It was just amazing. Tommy was like, ‘Oh my god did you hear that voice? Now that’s the Michael I’m talking about!’ I mean that intro alone with just his voice blew Tommy away. And then it just drops in, ‘Speechless, speechless, that’s how you make me feel.’ It just really blew his mind.”

“Speechless” was just the second track from Jackson’s new project that Mottola had heard. At this point he had not even heard Jackson’s version of “She Was Lovin’ Me”.

Jackson was highly protective of the music he put his voice on, and although the vocals were complete, Rooney had not yet completed the final mix for the track.

However, it was at that time that the collaborative relationship between Jackson and Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins took over.

“It was up to me to finish the music (for ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’), to make the music track better and stronger,” explained Rooney. “And I completely lost the opportunity to do that because I got so caught up in trying to help Rodney Jerkins deliver for Michael.”

“’She Was Lovin’ Me’ was a great song, but it wasn’t going to be the first single. It wasn’t what the record label was looking for. Michael wanted it to be a single at some point, but he wanted that big rhythmic thing for the lead single, you know, and we hadn’t got that yet for the record.”

Rooney strongly believed that Jerkins was the man who could deliver the type of track that Jackson was striving for. However, following their first meeting regarding a possible collaboration, Jackson was not convinced.

“It’s not that he isn’t talented – he is very talented”, Jackson said of Jerkins, tells Rooney. “But his work sounds like everything else that’s out right now. I need a new ‘Michael Jackson’ sound. I don’t want to sound like Brandy and Monica. I want to take people somewhere they’ve never been sonically.”

So, instead of polishing the music for “She Was Loving Me”, Rooney spent a good part of the next year nurturing the relationship between Jerkins, his “Darkchild” writing/production team, and Jackson.

To point him in the right direction Rooney recalls giving Jerkins some advice which had previously been given to him by Carole Bayer Sager – a friend and a co-writer of Jackson’s.

“Carole told me that Michael is a storyteller. She said Michael loves to tell stories in his music. If you listen to ‘Billie Jean’, it’s a story. If you listen to ‘Thriller’, it’s a story. If you listen to ‘Beat It’, it’s a story. He loves to tell a tale.”

And so Jerkins and his team put that advice into practice, writing stories in the forms of hard-hitting R&B songs for Jackson.

The results included songs such as “Your Rock My World” (the first Darkchild track recorded by Jackson and ultimately the lead single from the ‘Invincible’ album two years later), “Unbreakable” (Jackson’s personal preference for the lead single), “Heartbreaker”, “Privacy” and “Threatened”; among others.

“Before you knew it, the record was done,” recalls Rooney.

“Then [Michael] and Tommy (Mottola) started to fall out. And because everyone in the world knows that I worked so closely with Tommy, people started to try and put things between us.”

“Mottola kind of like played a little game and pulled me so far off the MJ project, and started a Jennifer Lopez album, a Marc Anthony album, and a Jessica Simpson album at the same time. So, I was so caught up in that, that the ‘Invincible’ ship started to sail and I couldn’t double back to finish ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’.”

By the time ‘Invincible’ was due out in late October 2001, things had turned completely sour between Jackson and Sony.

Jackson’s concepts, including an 18-minute short film for the track “Unbreakable”, were being overlooked and marketing for the album was being kept to a minimum. Sony refused to buy an advertising slot during Jackson’s 30th Anniversary Celebration concert, which would have been seen by 26 million Americans.

Later, Jackson accused Sony – namely label president Tommy Mottola – of sabotaging the album’s sales, among other things. And because of Rooney’s close working relationship with Mottola, all kinds of rumors began to swirl; including an allegation that Rooney was acting as Mottola’s personal “spy”.

Rooney insists these rumors were completely untrue, and tells that Jackson pleaded with him not to let the media and agenda-driven record executives ruin their friendship.

“Michael reached out to me personally and said, ‘Cory, do not let these people do to us and our friendship what they do to everyone else.’”

Rooney maintains that he saw himself as perhaps Jackson’s only true ally at the label.

Once the ‘Invincible’ album had been released, Rooney began to wonder what the fate of the unreleased “She Was Lovin’ Me” would be.

“Every time I talked to him or ran into him after ‘Invincible’ came out he would bring up the song. He would say, ’Listen; what ever you do, do NOT give the song to the record label, because all they’re gonna do is end up throwing it on some compilation.’”

“The last time I spoke to him was around eight months before he passed away. We talked about the track and laughed and joked about a couple of things. He told me that he was in Vegas and that he was going back and forth. I told him I was going to be in Vegas at a certain time and I was hoping we could meet when I got there. But I actually never made it out to Vegas.”

“In that final conversation we talked about using ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’ for his next project. He was talking about getting in a position where he was going to start lining up new songs and things like that. He said, ‘This record is so good we gotta figure out something good to do with it.’”

Unfortunately Michael Jackson never had the chance to hear “She Was Lovin’ Me” in it’s final state. Instead Rooney, with the help of Jackson’s nephew, Taryll, brought the track’s music to completion following his death. The pair have done an incredible job.

Jackson delivers an emotionally powerful vocal on the track, packed with pain and frustration. The verses gently tell the intimate story of Jackson’s encounter with a woman whom he believes was into him, before unleashing a rage of guitar-infused fury in the choruses.

“Anyone who has heard that song says it’s one of the best songs they’re heard from Michael in the last ten years of his career,” says Rooney – and they’re right. It’s the King of Pop rocking out at his best.

“She Was Lovin’ Me” remains unreleased to this day.
24 lutego 1999 roku, Shrine Auditorium w Los Angeles było gospodarzem 41 ceremonii wręczenia nagród Grammy, z udziałem największych artystów, producentów i dyrektorów w branży muzycznej.

W tym czasie Elliot Straite, utalentowany autor piosenek i producent, lepiej znany w przemyśle muzycznym jako "Dr. Freeze", dostał szansę na rozpoczęcie współpracy z Królem Popu, Michaelem Jacksonem, nad piosenkami na jego kolejny album.

Nagrywali w kilku studiach nagraniowych, min. w The Hit Factory w Nowym Jorku i Record One w Los Angeles, a także w prywatnym studiu Jacksona na jego ranczu Neverland.

Jednak w czasie Grammy Awards w 1999 roku, obaj pracowali akurat w legendarnym hollywoodzkim studiu nagraniowym Marvin's Room, należącym do Johna McClaina, wspólnego przyjaciela Freeze i Jacksona.

Wytwórnia Jacksona, Sony Music, miała nadzieję wydać będącą w fazie produkcji płytę przed nowym tysiącleciem, jednak po kilku poślizgach stało się jasne, że Jackson nie przejmował się ich życzeniem dotrzymania terminów. Od początku 1999 roku, wytwórnia nie usłyszała żadnego nowego materiału.

Jednak to się zmieniło.

Cory Rooney, ówczesny pierwszy wiceprezes Sony Music Entertainment wspomina, że wraz z kilkoma dyrektorami z Epic Records, został zaproszony przez Jacksona do studia na nadzwyczajną sesję odsłuchową.

"Michael zaprosił nas do studia, żeby posłuchać muzyki, ponieważ wszyscy byliśmy w Los Angeles na ceremonii rozdania nagród Grammy”.

Perspektywa słuchania tego, nad czym Jackson pracował była tak apetyczna, że na myśl o tym, dyrektorom wytwórni ciekła ślinka.

"To, że Michael zechciał ujawnić jakąś muzykę, to była dla nas wielka uczta, ponieważ nigdy czegoś takiego nie robił", wyjaśnił Rooney. „Bardzo rzadko ktoś miał szansę usłyszeć, nad czym pracuje”.

Oczywiście, ekipa z Epic Records, w tym Rooney, przyjęła niezwykłą ofertę Jacksona i przyszła do Marvin's Room, gdzie Jackson przygotował dla nich muzykę.

"Byłem ja, Tommy Mottola, John Doelp, Polly Anthony i David Glew - wszyscy najważniesi ludzie w Epic Records", wspomina Rooney.

"Poszliśmy więc do studia, a on puścił jedną piosenkę. Tylko jedną piosenkę”.

Utworem, który Jackson zaprezentował podczas sesji, było "Break Of Dawn", którego producentem był Freeze i który został dwa i pół roku później wydany na albumie "Invincible".

Chociaż dyrektorzy z Epic spodziewali się zaprezentowania więcej, niż tylko jednego utworu, byli zachwyceni tym, co usłyszeli. Zwłaszcza Tommy Mottola, który skomentował, że jeśli reszta płyty była tak dobra, jak "Break of Dawn", to mieli na swoim koncie zagwarantowany wielki sukces albumu.

Mottola nabrał apetytu. Chciał usłyszeć więcej.

"Michael obiecał nam, że za kilka tygodni wyśle kolejne nagrania", mówi Rooney.

Podczas lotu do domu, z Los Angeles do Nowego Jorku, Mottola zaproponował, żeby Rooney, który odniósł ogromny sukces w produkcji hitów dla wielu innych artystów, stworzył piosenkę z Michaelem.

Rooney skorzystał z szansy i od razu zabrał się do pracy.

"Wróciłem do domu i napisałem tę piosenkę -"She Was Lovin’ Me". Muzykę skomponowałem w moim domu, a potem przyniosłem taśmę z muzyką do studia Sony, żeby pracować nad demo".

Mottola usłyszał je po raz pierwszy tuż po tym, jak Rooney skończył składać w całość poszczególne kawałki.

"Tommy (Mottola) przyszedł do studia razem z Dannym DeVito", wspomina Rooney. "To zabawne. Danny był zaintrygowany. Tak bardzo spodobał mu się ten utwór, że powtarzał: ‘Zagraj jeszcze raz, zagraj jeszcze raz. O mój Boże, to jest fantastyczne!’"

Mottola również był pod wrażeniem i nalegał, żeby Jackson usłyszał piosenkę tak szybko, jak to możliwe.

"Tommy wziął naprawdę złą, roboczą, nieobrobioną wersję demo i powiedział: ‘Stary, to jest świetna piosenka, którą wysyłam Michaelowi właśnie teraz’. I wysłał ją do niego - właśnie w tej roboczej fazie”.

Początkowo Rooney był pełen obaw, zaniepokojony faktem, że wysłanie Jacksonowi niekompletnego dema może zniechęcić Jacksona do nagrania utworu.

"To było coś w stylu: ‘Nie wiem, czy to był dobry pomysł’, bo jeśli usłyszy to w wersji roboczej, być może stracę swoją szansę".

Mottola wysłał Jacksonowi robocze demo Rooney'a w czwartek, późnym wieczorem. Jackson, który nadal był w Los Angeles, dostał je następnego ranka.

"Tommy (Mottola) wysłał je w czwartek, Michael usłyszał je w piątek i daję słowo, że w poniedziałek był już w Nowym Jorku", wspomina Rooney. "Zadzwonił do mnie do domu i powiedział: ‘Jestem gotowy. Jestem przygotowany. Jestem gotowy śpiewać tę piosenkę’. I był gotowy. Zwaliło mnie z nóg".

Mimo że był już znakomitym producentem, autorem piosenek i dyrektorem wytwórni, możliwość pracy z Królem Popu była wielkim zaszczytem dla Rooneya.

"Odniosłem już wiele sukcesów w mojej karierze z Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony’m, Mary J. Blige i Destiny Child – nagle dzwoni Michael Jackson i mówi: ‘Bardzo mi się podoba twoja piosenka’. Nie mogłem w to uwierzyć".

Studio nagrań Hit Factory na 421 West 54th Street w Nowym Jorku stało się domem Jacksona i Rooneya na prawie miesiąc, od końca marca do połowy kwietnia 1999 roku.

Rooney niepokoił się tym, jak będzie wyglądała współpraca z Jacksonem, jaki było jego proces twórczy, kiedy nagrywał piosenki innych osób.

"Czasami faceci, jak Marc Anthony, powiedzą, że lubią piosenkę, ale chcą zmienić ten wers i chcą zmienić tę melodię".

Ku zaskoczeniu Rooney’a, Jackson zjawił się w studiu i stwierdził, że bardzo mu się podoba demo dokładnie takie, jakie było i nie chce wprowadzać żadnych zmian.

Rooney wspomina, jak Jackson mówił: "Przewiń to. Przewiń do tyłu. Podoba mi się ta fraza. Czekaj. Pozwól mi to powtórzyć. Chcę mieć pewność, że robię to tak, jak jest u ciebie”.

"Byłem zszokowany. Pomyślałem: ‘To niesamowite!’ Fakt, że ten facet zaakceptował i polubił każdy kawałek mojej piosenki, każdą jej część, był taki surrealistyczny. To wyzwala emocje".

Gdy nadszedł czas, żeby nagrać wokale, Jackson miał tylko jedną prośbę. Zgodnie z radą swojego długoletniego trenera wokalnego Setha Riggsa, Jackson zaproponował, żeby nagrywać jego wokal przez dwa oddzielne dni.

"W piosence ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’ jego śpiew przechodzi od bardzo wyciszonych zwrotek do bardzo mocnych refrenów”, wyjaśnił Rooney. "Były to więc dwa różne rodzaje wokali. To było jak głos Michaela Jacksona z "Billie Jean" i jego głos z "Dirty Diana" w jednym nagraniu".

"Był bardzo uprzejmy. Zwrócił się do mnie i powiedział: ‘Hm, jeśli nie masz nic przeciwko temu, chciałbym dzisiaj śpiewać zwrotki, ponieważ rozgrzałem głos do wyciszonych, niskich partii. Wysokie, mocne partie refrenów chciałbym śpiewać jutro, bo kiedy nagrywam piosenki, w których przechodzę w krzyk, takie jak "Dirty Diana", lubię rozgrzać mój głos w specyficzny sposób’”.

"Pomyślałem, że to niesamowite, że pyta mnie, czy to jest w porządku i o moją zgodę na zrobienie tego w taki sposób, kiedy wiadomo, że to jest Michael Jackson".

"Tak naprawdę, to spodziewałem się, że powie mi, jak on pracuje - co robi, a czego nie - ponieważ tak wielu artystów zachowuje się w ten sposób. Gdyby to była Jennifer Lopez, a nawet Lindsay Lohan, wydawałyby mi rozkazy. Ale nie Michael”.

Po około dwudziestu minutach rozgrzewających ćwiczeń, Jackson, ubrany w czerwoną rozpinaną koszulę i czarne spodnie, zdjął okulary przeciwsłoneczne i wszedł do kabiny.

"Był w kabinie wokalnej w studiu Hit Factory, przyciemniliśmy światła na tyle, żeby mógł przeczytać tekst piosenki znajdujący się przed nim na pulpicie", wspomina Rooney.

„Spotkałem ją w drodze do Chicago, była całkiem sama, ja też byłem sam, zapytałem, jak ma na imię”, śpiewał Jackson zmysłowym, niskim głosem, pstrykając do taktu palcami.

"Jego śpiew był taki płynny i taki perfekcyjny, ale najbardziej niesamowitym fragmentem tego, co działo się w kabinie, był jego taniec. Tańczył między nagraniami. Tańczył podczas nagrania. Pstrykał palcami. Przytupywał. Praktycznie nie było nagrania, w którym nie było słychać jego pstrykania palcami i prztupywania do rytmu”.

"Kiedy Bruce Swedien nagrywał Michaela, stworzył dla niego cały scenę, platformę, na której stał, z której mikrofon nie wyłapywał tak mocno dźwięku – po prostu nie stał na tej samej podłodze, co mikrofon", wyjaśnił Rooney. "Jednak wtedy nie miałem takiej platformy. Na wszystkich moich nagraniach, kiedy rozkładasz muzykę na części, słyszysz, jak śpiewa, ale słyszysz też, jak pstryka palcami, szeleści papierem, słyszysz, jak przytupuje, kiedy rytm przejmuje nad nim kontrolę ".

"Niektórzy piosenkarze wchodzą i wychodzą z kabiny wokalnej. Wchodzą i wychodzą. W tę i z powrotem. Jednak Michael przebywał w niej dotąd, dopóki nie wykonał swojej pracy”.

Kiedy skończyli pierwszą sesję – nagrywanie niskich partii i chórków - Jackson zapytał Rooneya, o której godzinie powinien wrócić następnego dnia, żeby nagrać refreny.

"Zapytałem: ‘Michael, która godzina tobie odpowiada?’, a on odpowiedział: ‘Cory, to nie ma dla mnie znaczenia – ty jesteś producentem. Jestem tutaj, żeby z tobą pracować. Ty jesteś szefem. Więc powiedz mi, o której godzinie chcesz, żebym tu był. Jeśli chcesz, żebym tu był o 7 rano, pójdę do domu odpocząć i będę tu o 7’. To było niesamowite".

Następnego ranka, Jackson się nie pojawił. Rozchorował się i nie czuł się na tyle dobrze, żeby wziąć udział w zaplanowanej sesji.

"Normalnie, jeśli pracujesz z kimś takim jak J-Lo czy Mariah Carey, możesz być w studiu całymi dniami, czekając, aż się pokażą. I nie zadzwonią, żeby dać ci znać, że są w drodze, czy, że się spóźnią, albo w ogóle nie przyjdą”.

W przeciwieństwie do nich, Michael Jackson był nie tylko na tyle uprzejmy, żeby zadzwonić - wysłał paczkę prezentów na przeprosiny za nieobecność na sesji.

"Przysłał mi taki wielki kosz, że musiałem zadzwonić do firmy przewozowej, żeby zabrać go do domu", wspomina Rooney. "Było pełno płyt DVD, odtwarzacz DVD, mała maszynka do popcornu, wszystkie te fajne małe książki o filmach - prawie jak komiksy - niczym małe stare magazyny o starych filmach.To był naprawdę fajny facet".

Do kosza dołączony był liścik ręcznie napisany przez Jacksona.

"W liście, który mi wysłał i który mam do dzisiaj napisał: ‘Wybacz, że nie mogłem przyjść' z powodu jego choroby".

Rooney zadzwonił do Jacksona, żeby podziękować mu za paczkę i przez dłuższy czas rozmawiali przez telefon.

Po kilku dniach odpoczynku, Jackson wrócił do studia, ponownie ze swoim trenerem wokalnym, Sethem Riggsem.

Jackson zapraszał Riggsa na każdą sesję, a on rozgrzewał głos Michaela w określony sposób, w zależności od tego, jaki rodzaj brzmienia miał zrealizować podczas sesji. W tym przypadku był to chrapliwy "rock" dla partii refrenu.

Jackson, prawdziwy profesjonalista, nagrał wokale szybko i doskonale.

„Czułem magię w pomieszczeniu. Wszyscy byli tym podekscytowani. To było szaleństwo!", wspomina Rooney.

Gdy wszystkie wokale zostały nagrane, jedyną rzeczą, jaka pozostała do zrobienia był ich przegląd i skompletowanie.

"Michael sam zmontował końcowy wokal", ujawnił Rooney. "Zebrał wszystkie swoje partie. Siedział z piórem i kartką papieru, przeglądał wszystkie swoje nagrania i wybrał według niego najlepsze. Złożył je w całość. Zajęło mu to około pół godziny, ponieważ wielokrotnie je odtwarzał”.

"Jeśli posłucha się tych taśm, można usłyszeć, jak coś mówi i naśladuje brzmienie instrumentów. Wykorzystaliśmy nawet niektóre z wokali, które nagrywałem podczas jego rozgrzewki z Sethem Riggsem. Wykorzystaliśmy je jako improwizację w środku piosenki, ponieważ brzmiały tak niesamowicie. Bardzo mu się to podobało”.

Zadowolony ze zmontowanego wokalu Jackson skierował Rooneya do swojego zaufanego aranżera, Brada Buxera, żeby udoskonalił przejścia.

Buxer, to utalentowany muzyk, znany przede wszystkim ze swojego wkładu w powstanie kilku najbardziej cenionych utworów Jacksona, min."Who Is It", "Stranger In Moscow" i "Earth Song".

"Michael wysłał mnie na spotkanie z Bradem Buxerem, który pomógł mi dokonać, tu i tam, kilku drobnych zmian, zrobić porządek z jego zmontowanym wokalem".

Chociaż proces nagrywania nie trwało długo, Jackson i Rooney spędzili w studiu prawie miesiąc, pracując nad utworem.

"Spędziliśmy dużo czasu - powiedziedziałbym, że pracowaliśmy przez dwa tygodnie - wyłącznie na dopracowywaniu", powiedział Rooney. "Nie tylko wokali, ale różnych technicznych rzeczy. I trwało to dwa tygodnie, ponieważ spędziliśmy więcej czasu na śmiechu i żartach, rozmawialiśmy i świetnie się bawiliśmy w studiu. Rozciągnęliśmy to w czasie tylko po to, żeby się dobrze bawić. W efekcie, spędziliśmy większość kwietnia w studiu na przygotowaniu i planowaniu. Używaliśmy go jako swego rodzaju kwatery głównej, żeby zrealizować nagranie”.

Pewnego razu, podczas ich sesji w Hit Factory, Jackson i Rooney wyszli ze studia, żeby obejrzeć występ magika, Davida Blain’a, pokazującego sztuczkę, w której został pochowany żywcem.

Blaine został pochowany na głębokości sześciu stóp pod ziemią, na terenie inwestycji Donalda Trumpa, naprzeciw wyżej położonej nowojorskiej autostrady West Side Highway, w pobliżu rzeki Hudson.

"To było jak duży ekran i wszyscy go widzieli. Jeśli spojrzało się na dół, można było go zobaczyć przez pleksiglas. Michael był tym zafascynowany. Dlatego tam poszliśmy”.

Chociaż praca Rooney'a polegała na produkowaniu przebojów dla artystów, czuł, że Jackson potrzebuje czegoś więcej niż tylko swojego nazwiska na szczycie list przebojów.

Czuł, że Jackson potrzebuje zarówno sprzymierzeńca w wytwórni, jak i przyjaciela.

"Mogłem wykorzystać tę sytuację, spróbować stworzyć sześć piosenek i nakłonić Michaela do ich nagrania, ale nie zależało mi na tym", dodał Rooney. "Chciałem mu wtedy dać wszystko, czego potrzebuje. Czułem, że potrzebował się dobrze bawić i bardziej mieć kumpla, niż jakiegoś faceta, próbującego wciskać mu piosenki. To było naprawdę to, co szczerze czułem w sercu. Wspaniale spędziliśmy czas”.

Sześć tygodni wcześniej, w studiu Marvin's Room w Los Angeles, Jackson obiecał wysłać Tommy'emu Mottoli więcej swojego nowo opacowanego materiału. Dotrzymując słowa, wkrótce po zakończeniu sesji nagraniowych do “She Was Lovin’ Me” z Rooney’em, Jackson wysłał Mottoli kolejny utwór.

"Byłem w biurze Mottoli opowiadając mu o czymś, a on zjadł lunch i powiedział: ‘Och, skoro tu jesteś, Michael przysłał kolejne nagranie. Posłuchajmy.

"Włącza płytę i słychać: ‘Twoja miłość jest magiczna. Tak właśnie czuję’. To piosenka ‘Speechless’. Była po prostu niesamowita. Tommy zawołał: ‘O mój Boże, słyszałeś ten głos? Teraz to Michael, o jakiego mi chodzi! "Znaczyło to, że samo intro z jego głosem zwaliło Tommy’ego z nóg. A potem zaczynało się: ‘Brak mi słów, brak słów, sprawiasz, że tak właśnie się czuję’. To naprawdę powaliło go na kolana”.

"Speechless" była drugą piosenką z nowego projektu Jacksona, którą usłyszał Mottola. W tym czasie nie słyszał jeszcze wersji "She Was Lovin’ Me" Jacksona.

Jackson bardzo pilnował utworów, które nagrywał i chociaż wokale były kompletne, Rooney jeszcze nie dokończył ostatecznego ich miksu w tym utworze.

Tym niemniej, w tym właśnie czasie, kontrolę nad współpracą między Jacksonem i Rodneyem przejął "Darkchild" Jerkins.

"Do mnie należało ukończenie muzyki (do "She Was Lovin’ Me"), żeby ścieżka dźwiękowa była doskonalsza”, wyjaśnił Rooney. "I całkowicie straciłem do tego okazję, ponieważ byłem tak pochłonięty pomaganiem Rodneyowi Jerkinsowi w dotarciu do Michaela".

"She Was Lovin’ Me" była świetną piosenką, ale nie nadawała się na pierwszy singiel. To nie był utwór, jakiego oczekiwała wytwórnia płytowa. Michael chciał, żeby został wydany na singlu w swoim czasie, ale na pierwszy singiel chciał czegoś bardziej rytmicznego, a tego jeszcze nie mieliśmy na koncie”.

Rooney mocno wierzył, że Jerkins był człowiekiem, który mógłby dostarczyć taką piosenkę, o jaką chodziło Jacksonowi. Jednak po pierwszym spotkaniu w sprawie ewentualnej współpracy, Jackson nie był przekonany.

"To nie to, że nie jest utalentowany - jest bardzo utalentowany", powiedział Jackson o Jerkinsie, mówi Rooney. "Ale jego praca brzmi jak wszystko inne, co jest obecnie. Potrzebuję nowego brzmienia ‘Michaela Jacksona’. Nie chcę brzmieć jak Brandy i Monica. Chcę zabrać ludzi gdzieś, gdzie nigdy nie byli dźwiękowo”.

Dlatego zamiast dopracowywać muzykę w "She Was Lovin’ Me", Rooney spędził sporą część następnego roku na doglądaniu relacji między Jerkinsem, jego pisarsko-producenckim zespołem "Darkchild" i Jacksonem.

Rooney wspomina, że chcąc go ukierunkować, dał Jerkinsowi pewną radę, którą wcześniej przekazała mu Carole Bayer Sager - przyjaciółka i współpracownik Jacksona.

"Carole powiedziała mi, że Michael jest gawędziarzem. Powiedziała, że Michael lubi opowiadać historie w swoich piosenkach. Jeśli słuchasz "Billie Jean", to jest jakaś historia. Jeśli słuchasz "Thrillera", to jest historia. Jeśli słuchasz "Beat It", to też jest historia. Uwielbia opowiadać historie".

I tak Jerkins i jego zespół wprowadzili tę radę w życie, pisząc opowieści w postaci energetycznych piosenek R & B dla Jacksona.

Wśród nich znalazły się utwory takie jak “You Rock My World” (pierwszy utwór Darkchild nagrany przez Jacksona i ostatecznie pierwszy singiel z albumu "Invincible" wydanego dwa lata później), "Unbreakable" (który był typem Jacksona na pierwszy singiel), „Heartbreaker", “Privacy”, "Threatened” i inne.

"Zanim się zorientowałeś, płyta była nagrana", wspomina Rooney.

"Wtedy [Michael] i Tommy (Mottola) poróżnili się. A ponieważ wszyscy na świecie wiedzą, że blisko współpracowałem z Tommym, ludzie próbowali nas skłócić".

"Mottola, niczym gracz wykonał taktyczny ruch i odciągnął mnie daleko od projektu MJ’a, zaczynając w tym samym czasie pracę nad albumami Jennifer Lopez, Marca Anthony’ego i Jessici Simpson. Byłem więc tak tym pochłonięty, że statek "Invincible" zaczął żeglować, a ja nie mogłem zawrócić, żeby skończyć "She Was Lovin’ Me".

Zanim końcem października 2001 roku album "Invincible" pojawił się na rynku, stosunki między Jacksonem i Sony całkowicie się zepsuły.

Koncepcje Jacksona, w tym realizacja 18-minutowego filmu krótkometrażowego do piosenki "Unbreakable", były ignorowane, a proces wprowadzania albumu na rynek był ograniczony do minimum. Firma Sony odmówiła wykupienia spotu reklamowego podczas koncertu Jacksona na 30th Anniversary Celebration, który oglądało 26 milionów Amerykanów.

Później Jackson oskarżył firmę Sony – to znaczy prezesa Tommy’ego Mottolę - o sabotowanie sprzedaży płyty. Z powodu bliskiej współpracy Rooney’a z Mottolą ,zaczęły krążyć różne plotki, w tym zarzut, że Rooney działał jako osobisty "szpieg" Mottoli.

Rooney twierdzi, że te pogłoski były nieprawdziwe i mówi, że Jackson poprosił go, żeby nie pozwolił mediom i dyrekcji wytwórni na zrujnowanie ich przyjaźni.

"Michael skontaktował się ze mną osobiście i powiedział: ‘Cory, nie pozwól, żeby ci ludzie zrobili z nas i naszej przyjaźni to, co robią wszystkim innym’”.

Rooney utrzymuje, że widział siebie jako jedynego prawdziwego sojusznika Jacksona w wytwórni.

Gdy album "Invincible" został wydany, Rooney zaczął się zastanawiać, jaki będzie los niewydanej piosenki "She Was Lovin’ Me".

"Za każdym razem, kiedy rozmawiałem z nim, albo wpadałem do niego po wydaniu „Invincible", poruszał sprawę tej piosenki. Mówił: ‘Posłuchaj, cokolwiek robisz, NIE oddawaj tej piosenki do wytwórni, ponieważ wszystko, co z nią zrobią skończy się na wrzuceniu jej na jakąś składankę’ ".

"Ostatni raz rozmawiałem z nim jakieś osiem miesięcy przed jego śmiercią. Rozmawialiśmy o nagraniu, żartowaliśmy i śmialiśmy się z różnych rzeczy. Powiedział mi, że jest w Vegas i że jeździł tam i z powrotem. Powiedziałem mu, że zamierzam wybrać się do Vegas za jakiś czas i miałem nadzieję, że się spotkamy, kiedy tam dotrę. Jednak nigdy nie wyjechałem do Vegas”.

"Podczas tej ostatniej rozmowy, mówiliśmy o wykorzystaniu „She Was Lovin’ Me " w jego kolejnym projekcie. Mówił o przeniesieniu się w takie miejsce, w którym zamierza rozpocząć przygotowywanie nowych piosenek, itp. Powiedział: ‘To nagranie jest tak dobre, że musimy wpaść na coś, żeby zrobić z nim coś dobrego’".

Niestety, Michael Jackson nigdy nie miał okazji usłyszeć "She Was Lovin’ Me" w jej ostatecznej formie. Natomiast Rooney, z pomocą bratanka Jacksona, Tarylla, dokończył nagranie po jego śmierci. Wykonali fantastyczną robotę.

W utworze Jackson operuje emocjonalnym, mocnym wokalem, pełnym bólu i frustracji. W zwrotkach łagodnie opowiada intymną historę o spotkaniu z kobietą, która, jak uwierzył, była nim zainteresowana, zanim w refrenach da upust gniewowi przy dźwiękach szalejących gitar.

"Każdy, kto słyszał tę piosenkę, mówi, że to jedna z najlepszych piosenek, Michaela, jaką słyszeli w ciągu ostatnich dziesięciu lat jego kariery", mówi Rooney - i mają rację. To Król Popu dający czadu, w swojej szczytowej formie.

"She Was Lovin’ Me" pozostaje niewydana do dziś.*


* Piosenka "She Was Lovin’ Me" została wydana na albumie 'Xscape' w maju 2014 roku, pod tytułem "Chicago".

Autor tłumaczenia: kato

Masz uwagi do tekstu? Podoba Ci się tłumaczenie? A może zauważyłeś błąd? Napisz!

Please leave following field blank:


09/10/17 23:51 ♥ Jolanta ♥
Cechą prawdziwego artysty jest pokora, jest docenienie umiejętności drugiego człowieka , szacunek. Móc podpatrywać Michaela przy pracy to wielkie szczęście, nawet, gdy jest to tylko słowo pisane. Kato kochana, czuję sie rozpieszczana tłumaczeniami i doceniam Twoją pracę , dziękuje .