En Pl
Strona główna | Tablica | Hyde Park | O stronie

“SYNCLAVIER, MUSIC AND MICHAEL JACKSON” - PART 4 "Synclavier, muzyka i Michael Jackson" - część 4
Author: Christopher Currell () Autor: Christopher Currell ()
The “Bad” World Tour – On The Road

I mentioned in part three that there were so many experiences while on the “Bad” tour, that it is almost an impossible task to write about them without making a complete book. So I will highlight some of my experiences while performing on the tour. Here we go….

Japan Tour: 9/12/1987 -10/12/1987

I had never been to Japan before and I had never played in a band like this before. I looked at this as a continuation of an incredible personal experience. The first nine scheduled concerts in Japan, which began on September 12, sold out within two and a half hours! Five more were added due to such high demand. A chartered jumbo jet was used to carry 22 truckloads of equipment, along with Michael’s entourage of 132 for the tour. The stage set used seven hundred lights, one hundred speakers, forty lasers, three mirrors and two 24-by-18 foot screens. A Laser show was also added later. Frank Dileo told me that the show at this point was costing $500,000 a night to implement!

The Japanese baseball playoffs were even re-scheduled so Michael could use the stadiums! That’s unheard of! It would be the equivalent of re-scheduling the World Series in the United States!

When we arrived at Tokyo International Airport in Narita, over 600 journalists, cameramen and fans greeted us. After the band got through customs, we got on a chartered bus and headed for Tokyo. The band would be staying at the Akasaka Prince Hotel while in Tokyo.

Bubbles, Michael’s chimp, took a separate flight from the U.S. and upon arriving at Narita, he was greeted by more than 300 people. The surprise was that he was to ride on the bus with us to Tokyo! Bubbles was swinging around Tarzan style from all the poles and seats creating his usual havoc! But the band loved it and we laughed all the way to our hotel!

The tour was sponsored by Pepsi. Everyone on the tour was instructed very seriously, to never drink Coke in public! A representative from Pepsi actually went on the tour to make sure the promotion was done correctly. Michael had a full time representative to deal just with the Pepsi guy! Every hotel room came complete with many packs of Pepsi! I did not drink Pepsi so I ended up always giving the Pepsi to the hotel staff.

The management was a bit nervous about our first show since we had never done the entire production at once in rehearsals. The Band was very excited but focused. We walked out on stage and there were so many people! We did the show with no problems and management was relieved! What was interesting is that the Japanese audience seemed very reserved and we had to really put out energy to get them going. We eventually had them jumping and cheering! We found out later that the audience was instructed to stay in their seats and to not make noise or they would be removed! Wow!

One evening after a show, the band was in the bus to go back to the hotel. There was a sharp corner the bus had to turn to get out of the stadium but it could not do so because of a parked car. About 20 of the Japanese tour staff, all wearing official white “Bad“ T-shirts gathered around the car discussing what to do. The Band had to get out of the stadium before the people started to come out. We watched them outside the bus window. Suddenly, they all circled around the car and bent over and picked up the car and moved it out of the way! The driver drove past the car, then…they put it back in exactly the same place! We were all laughing hysterically!

Australia Tour: 11/13/1987 – 11/28/1987

The first show in Melbourne, Australia was amazing! The audiences were so much more energetic than the Japanese audiences. Right from the first song, they were standing up cheering! They were so loud that we could not hear the count-offs to the songs. We had to change that right away for the next shows!

The next day, Michael had made the front page newspaper along with color photos. The reporter gave a blow by blow of each song…basically saying over and over that the concert was amazing but the band and Michael’s performance was “too good”! What does that even mean? He then decided to call our music “Robopop”! I guess he thought we performed and played too perfectly! Turns out, the movie Robocop was currently playing in Australia and was very popular! What a world!

Billy Joel was performing his world tour at the same time and was also playing in Melbourne. As it turns out, he was staying at the same hotel! One evening after our concert, I and a couple of band members went into the hotel lounge. Billy and his then wife Christie Brinkley were there as well and we started talking. I always had thought Christie was very conservative. Seems she was a Michael fan and as the night went on, she got more loose and started dancing, imitating Michael and even mimicked his famous crotch move! We were all laughing! They were very nice and invited us to their concert anytime and to come backstage and hang out. These were really fun times!

Michael would sometimes do things and never tell the band. One of these occasions was in Brisbane. We were doing the encore and playing the song Bad…when all of a sudden, Michael brings out Stevie Wonder! We had no idea he was even in Australia! He joined Michael in singing the song Bad and the crowd went crazy! The band was completely surprised but we all played great!

After five shows…it was time to go back to the states and take some time off for Christmas before starting the next set of rehearsals.

Christmas Vacation

I decided to go back to my hometown of Saginaw, Michigan to visit my family for Christmas. I told my mother, “please do not tell anyone I was coming home.” I needed the time for peace and quiet. I had been working nonstop with Michael for over two and a half years!

I arrived home to find out my mother had told everybody I was coming and held a party at their house! I was irritated but at the same time, my parents were proud that I had become successful so it was ok.

A few days later, maybe almost Christmas…snowing heavily…an old friend called me and invited me to go to a local club at a hotel for the evening. He said there was a good band playing from Detroit. The group was an R&B funk band and they played two of Michael’s songs from the Bad album…The Way You Make Me Feel and Bad. It was interesting to see a club band play songs from an album that was big on the charts that I had worked on.

The band went on break so I went to the rest room. The drummer was there. I told him I thought the band sounded good. He noticed my very long black hair.

He asked,”Do you play in a band?”

I thought ..”Oh oh..here it comes…”

I said, “yes.”

“Would I know the band?” he asked.

I said “Maybe”… trying to be low key so I could exit gracefully but that would not happen.

He then said, ”Who”.

I said, “Michael Jackson.”

No reaction…just silence.

Then it hit him…”Michael Jackson!?”

“Michael Jackson!?” He said again realizing now what I had just said.

I said, “yes.”

It seemed to take a few seconds for him to comprehend what I had said.

“I knew I recognized you…you are on the front cover of Keyboard Magazine this month!!”

I said, “yes.”

He freaked out and told me to wait and he ran out of the restroom. About 30 seconds later, the whole band came! We gathered in the hallway outside the restroom. They were so excited to meet me but wondered why I was in Saginaw Michigan. I explained I was home for the holidays. They asked for some pointers. I told them they were only playing one of two bass lines in the song The Way You Make Me Feel. I told them how to play it correctly. They thanked me and off they went to play their next set. I left before they finished.

More Rehearsals

For the next leg of the tour, Michael wanted to do more songs from the “Bad” album. He gave me instructions to program the Synclavier for the additional songs. I only attend maybe one or two of the pre-rehearsals. My initial work was to program the Synclavier with all the sounds that I had created on the Bad album and perform all those parts minus the drums, guitar, bass and some keyboard parts. No pressure there!!! So for a week or so, I worked in my studio on programing the Synclavier. I also had to go to Michael’s studio at his house and get various sounds from the master tapes used on the Bad album. Many of the sounds were already in the Synclavier. Greg Phillinganes, now officially the music director, came to my studio in the evenings after rehearsal to update me on the song arrangements, song tempos, and who was playing what parts. He had also recorded the rehearsal so I could hear what was going on.

The biggest challenge for me was to modify the sounds and sequences to match a much faster tempo that the band was playing live compared to the tempos of the songs on the album. This was before there was technology to speed up and slow down the sounds without changing the pitch. I had to go into the Synclavier and surgically cut up some of the performances note by note, syllable by syllable and place each on separate tracks in the Synclavier so I could speed up the tempo without any perceivable change in the actual pitch of the parts. This process was serious brain damage and with very little time to accomplish the task. The last three days of programing, I did not even have time to sleep!!!

I knew there was going to be a break in the show for Michael to rest and this was to be where each of the band members could play something. Since the band was so talented and they each were going to do some kind of solo, I decided that my solo should be different and use technology to my advantage. I thought “why not create a sort of dance remix part of the show!” I was going to walk out from a fog with the SynthAxe and play some unusual sounds in a cool groove with just Ricky playing the drums. I sampled explosions, broken glass, voices, horn hits, etc. I ended my solo with a sample of an atomic bomb exploding. I thought I would give all the sub woofers a real workout! Michael would later remark to me on the tour that he liked my solo the best! Yay!

The day arrived when we had to put it all together! My tech, Mitch came to my studio and picked up the hard drives and set up Michael’s Synclaviers at the rehearsal studio. I loaded in the material. The band showed up.

Quincy Jones was there and so was Donny Osmond. Ricky counted off the first song and…WOW!!! The sound was amazing! The band was amazed at all the additional sounds the Synclavier added to the band! It was the first time for me hearing the band as well! Quincy thought it sounded great and commented that the horns were slammin’! Then all the equipment were broken down to be taken to Pensacola, Florida at the Pensacola Civic Center. The first leg rehearsals were at Universal Studios but Michael could not use it again because it was not available. So it was decided to do the next rehearsal at the Pensacola Civic Center.

U.S. Tour: 02/23/1988 -05/06/1988

We arrived in Pensacola and we were to stay at a brand new hotel on the beach. The hotel was so new it was not even officially open yet. The sandy beach was quite interesting because it consisted of all black sand.

We spent the time rehearsing the new songs and going over details. Michael was to join us in about a week but he did not show up. The band had the songs rehearsed well. We had some time to kill so we rehearsed Speed Demon. It sounded great! We hoped Michael would like it and want to perform it.

Management gave us a few days off but as luck would have it, I got very sick. I stayed in bed the entire few days! I could not even eat!

I was very weak when we started to rehearse again. Then it was announced that Michael had arrived and was coming to the Civic Center so we decided to play some of the new material when he got there. Michael entered the Civic Center with Mary Hart from Entertainment Tonight in-between two rows of lots of police in uniform and TV cameras…what an entrance! We played the music while Mary Hart interviewed Michael.

Later that day, in a private meeting in his dressing room, Michael told me that the song The Way You Make Me Feel sounded great and that Smooth Criminal was better than the album and that we needed to record it again! He also liked Speed Demon but in spite of my positive pitch to perform it, Michael said no because he didn’t have any choreography to go along with it. Too bad…

Michael brought in Siegfried and Roy to work out some onstage illusions for Michael, which was very interesting to watch and added a new dimension to the show.

After this break for rehearsals, we were ready to begin the tour in the United States, starting in Kansas, Missouri on February 23rd, 1988. The Bad concert was now bigger than ever with several new songs, new choreography and a new stage.

A huge illuminated baseball billboard type sign was added over the stage, which showed an animation of Michael’s legs and feet doing the moonwalk and a spin. This started the show. I had to sample his foot steps into the Synclavier. With the use of a closed circuit TV, I could monitor the animation of Michael’s feet and I would play the sounds of his feet in sync on the Synclavier keyboard. Very cool!

At our first show in Kansas, some of the support rigging for the sign collapsed from the weight. It was revealed that the overall weight of the speaker system plus the big billboard sign, which were all suspend from the ceiling, exceeded the weight limits of most of the indoor venues! It was decided that the sign would stay and some speakers were to be removed. I was against this because I thought the sound was more important but I did not have any say in the matter. Oh well!

Just and hour or so before the last Kansas show, Michael called me into his dressing room. He said since there was over a week before the next shows in New York, I had to fly to New York in the morning and go to the Hit Factory to re-record Smooth Criminal! He told me to please tell everyone so they can arrange everything. Of course everyone freaked out! My tech Mitch was planning on going home for a few days but he would have to cancel it. The Synclaviers would have to be taken out of the trucks and sent separately to New York that evening after the show! Michael always seemed to have me do these kinds of communications so management did not like me very much!

In New York, when I arrived at the Hit Factory, Mitch and Bruce Sweden were there. The Synclavier was set up ready to go and Bruce had Smooth Criminal all cued up. He turned to me and said, “I have already recorded this twice. I don’t know what Michael wants to hear.” Michael was supposed to come to the studio but changed his mind. He was off playing with some friends. I told Bruce that I know what Michael wants to hear. So Bruce said “you mix it then.”

We re-recorded the Synclavier and I mixed the song. Michael said he would be at his penthouse so we should bring the tape recorder, amps and speakers to the penthouse for him to hear the final mix. Everyone was nervous about how Michael would respond to the new mix. I was confident that I got it the way he would like it, because of our work at his house. We had to rent a lot of equipment and send it over to Michael’s penthouse. His Penthouse had a dance studio with high ceilings so we set up the equipment there. Everything was ready to go when Michael walked in.

He said hello and wanted to hear the song. Bruce started the song. Immediately Michael started to dance! This was a good sign! He danced all the way through till the end. Then he said, “this is great! It sounds the way it is supposed to sound!” Then he turned around and left! Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. This mix was used on later pressings of the Bad album. Basically it has more punch than the first version. I never got credit for the re-mix.

On the 3rd of March, 1988, Michael performed a private concert at Madison Square Garden in New York. I found out from my tech Mitch that Madonna had been watching me perform from the shadows off stage. Apparently she was very curious as to what I was doing with the Synclavier. I found that interesting. Billy Joel was there and we said hello and talked a bit about the Synclavier. Paul Shaffer and the Tonight Show band came backstage as well as members of Earth Wind and Fire. WOW!

I recall another interesting experience while on the Bad tour. We were playing in Denver, Colorado. It was the first show. During a dance segment, I turned too quickly and threw my back out! I finished the show with no problem but I was in pain. After the show, in the dressing room, I explained what happened and one of the wardrobe guys, who was a masseuse said he would give me a massage. He worked on me for about a half an hour, then we all went back to the hotel. I was still in pain so I fell asleep with my clothes on.

The next morning, I could not move! It took about 15 minutes just to reach the telephone next to my bed to call someone! I was a bit panicked because I had to do a show that evening! Management came to my room. I was a mess and in pain. They looked at me and said “what are you going to do?” This was serious. My role in the show was crucial. If I could not do the show, it would have to be postponed! Millions of dollars would be lost and probably lawsuits flying! No pressure here!

I thought it is important to keep a positive view so everyone could do his or her jobs without freaking out. I told them if they could find a chiropractor and if he could work on me enough so I could at least sit up and lift my right foot two inches off the floor (for EFX pedals), I could do the show. They said ok and they said they would inform Mitch to make adjustments to my stage equipment.

It was the weekend so it was not easy to find a chiropractor but one arrived within an hour or so. I almost passed out from him just moving my body from the bed to his table! He worked on me all day and by the late afternoon I could sit up and lift my foot two inches! An ambulance arrived to take me to the arena. I thought maybe I would not survive the trip from the bumps and curves. It was not too bad.

The ambulance drove into the arena and stopped near the catering where the band and crew hang out. One of Michael’s security team lifted me out and set me in a wheel chair. We went right to the stage. One of the security guys grabbed the wheelchair and lifted me right up onto the stage! Mitch had adjusted everything so I could play from the wheel chair. I checked everything and everything was ok for me to do the show.

After that, someone pushed me into the catering area where some of the band members saw me and freaked out. “What happened to you?!” I told them what happened but I could do the show no problem. They asked if Michael knew. I did not know if anyone had told him.

A short time later, someone came to take me to wait outside Michael’s dressing room. Just before the show, all the band members would come to his dressing room and we would say a prayer and then have a rally to build our energy and focus. This was our routine. So I was waiting outside Michael’s dressing room in the hallway all alone sitting in this wheelchair. I hear footsteps and it is John Branca, Michael’s attorney. One thing about Branca, he is hardcore and I had never seen him smile. He saw me and asked, “What happened to you?” Thinking quickly, I shot back right away…”I asked Frank DiLeo for a raise!” Branca looked at me and a smile came across his face and he started laughing and just kept walking.

Soon Michael’s dressing room door opened and out comes Chucky, Michael’s personal bodyguard. He is huge sweet guy and always wore a tux and a top hat. Very surreal! Anyway, he looked at me and asked, “what happened to you?” Again, I responded right away…” I asked Frank DiLeo for a raise!” He broke out laughing. Then I told him what happened but I would be able to do the show with no problem. He asked, “does Michael know?” I said, “I don’t know”. Chucky said, “hold on a second” and closed the door. A few seconds later, Michael opens the door. He looked totally surprised! It seemed management had overlooked telling him. Michael said, “what happened to you?” Again I said…”I asked Frank DiLeo for a raise!” Michael burst out laughing. He wheeled me into his dressing room. I told him what happened but that I could do the show no problem.

A few minutes later the band arrived. Some knew what happened. Some didn’t. I quickly explained that no problem and that I could do the show. Actually I was still in a lot of pain. We did our prayer and rally but it was special this time. Greg Phillinganes said if I could do the show in my condition, that everyone should play their best to show support. Very nice for him to say that.

I went to the stage early when I was greeted, or maybe a better word would be assaulted, by the venue in-house doctor. Apparently his job was rather boring since he was very excited that maybe he found someone to work on. He said “no problem I have all kinds of pain killers, and morphine!” I said “no, I do not want any drugs.” “Oh..ok…but…if you need it I have all kinds of pain killers, and morphine!” I said “no again!” What a quack! He seemed disappointed that he could not set me up with lots of drugs! I said “what I do need is lots of ice for my back.” He got me the ice but then said, “if you need it I have…….” WOW!

I did the show with no problems. In fact, I was sitting down and did not have to do any choreography so I had the best seat in the Arena!

A few days later, at the Hartford, Connecticut shows, I used a high stool to sit on. The next night, I only used it to prop me up but I could stand. The third night, I did not need the stool at all. On the way to the stage the third night, one of the crew said, “you are getting better!” I said, “how can you tell?” He said, “every night you walk more straight!”

We were playing in Minneapolis, home of Prince. He had bought out a lot of seats in the front row for himself and his staff. Prince had a rule that when in public, his band or others had to pay attention only to him since he is…well…Prince! As it turns out, Sheila E, a friend of Greg Phillinganes, was working with Prince playing drums and singing. At the venue a couple hours before the show, Greg saw Sheila E and said hello. She totally ignored him because she was with Prince. This irritated Greg because he thought that act was nonsense and he told the rest of the band what had happened.

I was hanging out in the bowels of the arena in the makeup/wardrobe area. The band and wardrobe people were scattered around getting last minute touches on their makeup or costumes. Suddenly, Prince, his bodyguard, and Sheila E came walking through. Everyone was watching. So I decided to try and blow Prince’s act.

Picture this… I was in complete costume, huge hair, tubes hanging off me, thigh high Zebra boots and makeup looking like Kiss meets Captain EO. I was leaning against the wall with my arms folded defiantly…and I am tall! Everyone was watching. The three of them walked right by me, about two feet away. I looked at Prince very serious and said, “What’s up homes!?” He turned slowly and looked at me. I saw a beginning of a smile but he kept cool! The band broke out laughing hysterically. Prince, his bodyguard, and Sheila E kept walking. I came so close to getting him to laugh! Oh Well!

Europe Tour: 05/23/1988 – 11/10/1988

Our next stop was Rome! When we arrived at Flaminino Stadium, I was surprised to see armed militia surrounding the stadium. Apparently David Bowie had done some concerts there and a riot had broken out. I guess the police did not want that happening again! I had seen the military at the airport with guns and dogs and now here. That picture just did not seem to fit with playing music. Very strange experience.

We were playing a show, I think it was either Turin or Basel…by now time and place had started to become a blur, when I had an interesting experience. It was about an hour or so before the show started. I was hanging out alone, something I would do often before a show in order to mentally prepare. I was in a kind of remote area below the stadium. Michael’s dressing room was not too far away down the hall. It was quiet and no one was around.

I suddenly heard voices and footsteps. Around the corner came Elizabeth Taylor with her entourage of people. She recognized me from when Michael had introduced us when he was filming Moonwalker at Universal Studios. She was lost and was trying to find Michael’s dressing room. I walked them to Michael’s dressing room door. I knocked and Michael let them in and shut the door. I went back to my quiet spot to relax.

A few minutes later, I heard someone walking. Just single footsteps this time. Around the corner came the most beautiful woman I had ever seen! It was Sophia Loren! I probably looked stupid standing there with my mouth open. She saw me and very politely asked if I knew where Michael’s dressing room was. Again, I walked her to Michael’s door and knocked. He opened the door and Sophia walked in and the door closed. WOW! I thought to myself…did this just happen?

The next day in the newspaper, the headlines read that many many years ago Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren had a falling out and had not talked to each other since. Apparently, Michael had mended that upset and now they were all friends! Interesting!

We played in Berlin at Reichstag at the Berlin Wall. This was more strange than Rome. There were armed military all along the wall. East Berlin decided to do their own concert a mile down the wall or so to try to keep people from gathering near where we were performing so people would not attempt to escape. During the show, a few people actually did escape! One woman was spotted running between the walls by the East Berlin guards. They were actually preparing to shoot her! She started screaming don’t shoot and that she was with child! TV cameras were on her so the guards let her go! Again, this kind of activity was going on around us and all we wanted to do was just play music. The world is crazy!

Michael scored a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for setting a new attendance record, when he played the first of seven nights at Wembley Stadium in London, England. The shows were attended by a total of 504,000 fans, beating the record previously held by Genesis. Ticket demand for the dates exceeded 1.5 million, enough to fill the 72,000 capacity venue 20 times over. I met Robin Williams and Eric Clapton backstage!

Nathan East, an old friend and at the time, the bass player for Eric’s band told me at dinner after the show that he was sitting with Eric at the concert. When I did my Synth Axe solo, Eric freaked out and stood up and asked Nathan “What’s he doing?” I was surprised! Apparently my solo got a rise out of Eric Clapton! Cool!! (wink!!)

We were playing in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. I was getting really bored sitting in my hotel room. To go outside was not recommended since the front of the hotel had hundreds of fans waiting outside. I was tired of eating hotel food and I was told that there was a McDonalds two blocks away. I decided to take a chance and try to make it to McDonalds.

Remember, at this time my hair was longer than my waist and I was clearly a musician and a target for fans. I asked the hotel if there was a back exit somewhere. They showed me a door to an alleyway, which exited on the side of the hotel. The problem was, I had to cross the main street and down a block to get to McDonalds. If I could cross the street without being seen, I would be home free. The crossing was a block away from the crowd so I thought if I quickly crossed, I would go unnoticed.

I was sooo wrong! About halfway across the street, someone in the crowd saw me and started yelling! Suddenly the whole group of people became a mob and they all started chasing me! I started running as fast as I could to McDonalds! I ran inside and ran up to a counter and frantically asked to use their rear exit. They were surprised but pointed the way. I ran out the back door. I am sure the mob all ran into McDonalds and probably freaked everyone out! I ran around the block, back down the same alleyway and ran back into the hotel gasping for breath. The hotel staff looked at me as if I was really strange! From then on, I stayed in my hotel rooms.

Michael performed on his 30th birthday at Leeds, England, on August 29th 1988, where 90,000 fans sang him “Happy Birthday” while we accompanied them played happy birthday.

U.S. Tour: 09/26/1988 -11/13/1988

One of the nice memories I have was when we played in Detroit, Michigan at the Palace in Auburn Hills. I am from Saginaw, Michigan so my family and lots of my old friends came to the show. I even picked up my parents and my brother and his wife at their hotel in a white stretch limo and took them to the show! I had mentioned to Michael that my parents were coming to the show so before the show, Michael requested that my parents and my brother and his wife come to his dressing room. We all talked for a few minutes and took a picture. They enjoyed the show very much!

Japan Tour: 12/09/1988 – 12/26/1988

We went back to Japan for nine more sold out shows at the Tokyo Dome. It was great to come back to Japan. I had made many friends the last time we had played there. Japan had struck a chord with me. After the tour, I came back for many years spending half a year in Japan and half in the United States doing record production and consulting. I met my future wife to be on this leg of the Japan tour. She was a professional interpreter for the stage management.

I now live in Japan!

Final LA Shows: 01/16/1989 – 01/27/1989

The tour was coming to an end. The tour had lasted about 16 months. We performed 123 concerts to 4.4 million fans across 15 countries. When the tour concluded, it had grossed a total of $125 million, adding two new entries in the Guinness World Records for the largest grossing tour in history and the tour with the largest attended audience.

I remember the last show in Los Angeles at the Sports Arena. We were almost finished with this history making event! We were nearing the end of the show. The crowd was energized and we had been playing well! It was then that I noticed that the entire stage began to shake! We didn’t know what was happening! As it turns out, while the band was taking a bow after “Man In The Mirror,” a magnitude 5.0 earthquake struck, at 10:54pm, PST. What a great way to end the tour!

Final Thoughts

In the summer of 1990, after doing a bit of work on the upcoming Dangerous album, I decided that my time with Michael was at a close. I needed to move on. My friends thought I was crazy to leave because I was making so much money. They didn’t realize that there is more to life than just money and fame. I informed Michael that I would be leaving. He was surprised. I think no one had actually quit him before. I told him if he really needs me I would help him out but I needed to pursue my own artistic path. He respected that. He called me a couple of times when he could not find something and that was the last time I talked with him.

I moved to Japan at the end of April 2009. On June 26th, I got the word that Michael Jackson had passed away. I did not believe it at first but very quickly it became clear that he indeed had passed. I was in shock for a few days. I had always thought that we might work together again someday. It is clear now that if we do, it will not be on earth.

I wrote my thoughts on my website and I have never publicly discussed any of my experiences with Michael until now.

From my website…

Michael Jackson – 06/26/09

The world is less today with the loss of Michael. Having worked with him closely 17 hours a day for over three and a half years, I got to know him well and respected his great talent. There never was a dull moment. Whenever we were in the studio together, we were like kids, always goofing off. I don’t know how we got work done but we did. Working with Michael raised my standards of quality for recording music. He was very demanding, always inspiring and always fun! Not only did he change the way I created music, he changed my life. He was my friend and I will miss him greatly. Though he has moved on to do bigger and greater things in this universe, his energy will remain here on earth for all people to feel and experience through his music.

Infinite Gratitude.

Christopher Currell
"Bad" World Tour - w drodze

Wspomniałem w części trzeciej, że było tak wiele zdarzeń podczas trasy "Bad", że prawie niemożliwe jest opisanie każdego z nich, kwalifikują się na oddzielną książkę. Opowiem więc o niektórych moich przeżyciach związanych z pobytem w trasie. No to ruszamy….

Trasa w Japonii: 12.09.1987 – 12.10.1987

Nigdy wcześniej nie byłem w Japonii i nigdy wcześniej nie grałem w takim zespole. Dla mnie to była kontynuacja niesamowitego osobistego doświadczenia. Pierwsze dziewięć zaplanowanych koncertów w Japonii, które rozpoczęły się 12 września, wyprzedało się w ciągu 2,5 godziny! W związku z tak dużym zapotrzebowaniem, dodano pięć więcej. Wyczarterowany jumbo jet został użyty do przewozu 22 ciężarówek ze sprzętem i 132 osób stanowiących ekipę Michaela do obsługi koncertów. Scenografia wykorzystywała siedemset lamp, sto głośników, czterdzieści laserów, trzy lustra i dwa ekrany o wymiarach 24 x 18 stóp [około 7,3m x 5,5m]. Później dodano też pokaz świateł laserowych. Frank Dileo powiedział mi, że w tym czasie koszt zrealizowania każdego koncertu wynosił 500 000 dolarów!

W Japonii zmieniono nawet terminy rozgrywek play-off w bejsbolu tak, żeby Michael mógł wykorzystać stadiony! To niesłychane! Można to porównać ze zmianą terminów World Series w Stanach Zjednoczonych!

Kiedy przylecieliśmy na międzynarodowe lotnisko w Narita, powitało nas ponad 600 dziennikarzy, kamerzystów i fanów. Po przejściu przez odprawę celną, wsiedliśmy do wyczarterowanego autobusu i pojechaliśmy do Tokio. Podczas pobytu w Tokio, zespół miał mieszkać w Akasaka Prince Hotel.

Bubbles, szympans Michaela, przyleciał z USA oddzielnym lotem i po przybyciu do Narita, został powitany przez ponad 300 osób. Zaskoczeniem było to, że jechał z nami autobusem do Tokio! Bubbles huśtał się niczym Tarzan na wszystkich drążkach i siedzeniach, tworząc typowe dla niego spustoszenie! Jednak zespołowi bardzo się to podobało i śmialiśmy się przez całą drogę do hotelu!

Sponsorem trasy był koncern Pepsi. Każdy z uczestników trasy dostał ścisłe instrukcje, żeby nigdy w miejscach publicznych nie pić coca-coli! Tak naprawdę, przedstawiciel Pepsi wyruszył w trasę, żeby upewnić się, że kampania reklamowa była realizowana jak należy. Michael miał pełnoetatowego pracownika, który zajmował się tylko tym facetem z Pepsi! W każdym pokoju hotelowym było pełno opakowań z pepsi! Nie piję pepsi, więc kończyło się zawsze na rozdawaniu pepsi personelowi hotelowemu.

Kierownictwo było trochę zaniepokojone naszym pierwszym koncertem, ponieważ nigdy nie wykonywaliśmy całej inscenizacji na próbach. Zespół był bardzo podekscytowany, ale skupiony. Wyszliśmy na scenę, a tam było tylu ludzi! Zagraliśmy koncert bez problemów, a kierownictwu ulżyło! Ciekawe było to, że japońska publiczność wydawała się bardzo powściągliwa i musieliśmy naprawdę zdrowo się napocić, żeby ją rozkręcić. W końcu doprowadziliśmy do tego, że skakali i wiwatowali! Dowiedzieliśmy się później, że widzowie zostali poinstruowani, żeby pozostać na swoich miejscach i nie krzyczeć, inaczej zostaną usunięci! No proszę!

Pewnego wieczoru po koncercie, zespół był w autobusie, żeby wrócić do hotelu. Przy wyjeździe ze stadionu był ostry zakręt, który autobus musiał pokonać, żeby z niego wyjechać, ale nie mógł tego zrobić, z powodu zaparkowanego tam samochodu. Około 20 pracowników z japońskiego personelu obsługującego trasę, w oficjalnych białych koszulkach z napisem „Bad” zebrało się wokół samochodu, zastanawiając się, co zrobić. Zespół musiał opuścić stadion, zanim ludzie zaczęli wychodzić. Patrzyliśmy na nich przez szyby autobusu. Nagle wszyscy okrążyli samochód, pochylili się, podnieśli samochód i przenieśli go z drogi! Kierowca przejechał obok samochodu, a potem ... postawili go z powrotem dokładnie w to samo miejsce! Wszyscy śmialiśmy się histerycznie!

Trasa w Australii: 13.11.1987 – 28.11.1987

Pierwszy koncert w Melbourne w Australii był niesamowity! Widzowie byli o wiele bardziej energiczni niż japońska publiczność. Już od pierwszego utworu wstawali i wiwatowali! Byli tak głośni, że nie mogliśmy usłyszeć odliczania przed każdą z piosenek. Musieliśmy to zmienić od razu na kolejne koncerty!

Następnego dnia kolorowe zdjęcia Michaela zdobiły pierwszą stronę gazety. Dziennikarz szczegółowo opisał każdą piosenkę ... zasadniczo powtarzając w kółko, że koncert był niesamowity, ale występ Michaela i zespołu "był zbyt dobry"! Co to w ogóle znaczy? Później nazwał naszą muzykę "Robopop"! Sądzę, że uważał, iż graliśmy zbyt perfekcyjnie! Okazuje się, że w Australii był akurat wyświetlany film „Robocop” i był tam bardzo popularny! Co za świat!

W tym samym czasie swoją światową trasę koncertową odbywał Billy Joel i także koncertował w Melbourne. Jak się okazało, mieszkał w tym samym hotelu! Pewnego wieczoru po naszym koncercie ja i kilku członków zespołu weszliśmy do holu. Billy i jego ówczesna żona, Christie Brinkley również tam byli i zaczęliśmy rozmawiać. Zawsze myślałem, że Christie była bardzo konserwatywna. Wygląda na to, że była fanką Michaela i gdy nastała noc, rozluźniła się i zaczęła tańczyć, naśladując Michaela, nawet jego słynny chwyt za krocze! Wszyscy się śmialiśmy! Byli bardzo mili i zapraszali nas na ich koncert w dowolnym czasie i za kulisy, żeby spędzić wolny czas. To były naprawdę zabawne czasy!

Czasami Michael coś robił i nie mówił o tym zespołowi. Jedno z takich zdarzeń miało miejsce w Brisbane. Graliśmy na bis piosenkę „Bad” ... gdy nagle Michael wychodzi ze Stevie Wonderem! Nie mieliśmy nawet pojęcia, że był w Australii! Dołączył do Michaela śpiewając piosenkę „Bad”, a tłum oszalał! Zespół był kompletnie zaskoczony, ale wszyscy grali świetnie!

Po pięciu koncertach ... nadszedł czas, żeby wrócić do USA i trochę odpocząć na Boże Narodzenie przed rozpoczęciem następnej serii prób.

Przerwa świąteczna

Postanowiłem wrócić do mojego rodzinnego miasta Saginaw w stanie Michigan, żeby odwiedzić moją rodzinę na Boże Narodzenie. Powiedziałem matce: "Proszę, nie mów nikomu, że wracam do domu". Potrzebowałem ciszy i spokoju. Przez ponad dwa i pół roku pracowałem bez przerwy z Michaelem!

Wróciłem do domu, żeby dowiedzieć się, że moja matka powiedziała wszystkim, że przyjadę i zorganizowała imprezę w domu! Byłem zirytowany, ale jednocześnie rodzice byli dumni, że odniosłem sukces, więc było dobrze.

Kilka dni później, tuż przed Bożym Narodzeniem ... mocno sypał śnieg ... zadzwonił do mnie stary przyjaciel i zaprosił mnie na wieczorne wyjście do lokalnego klubu hotelowego. Powiedział, że jest dobry zespół muzyczny z Detroit. Grupa była zespołem grającym funk i R & B i wykonywała dwie z piosenek Michaela z albumu „Bad”… „The Way You Make Me Feel” i „Bad”. Ciekawe było zobaczyć zespół klubowy grający piosenki z takiego przebojowego albumu, nad którym pracowałem.

Zespół zrobił przerwę, poszedłem więc do toalety. Był tam perkusista. Powiedziałem mu, że uważam, iż zespół brzmiał dobrze. Zauważył moje bardzo długie, czarne włosy.

Zapytał: "Czy grasz w zespole?"

Pomyślałem ... "Oho, zaczyna się ..."

Powiedziałem: „Tak."

Zapytał: „Czy to znany zespół?”

Powiedziałem: "Może" ... starałem się być powściągliwy i dyskretnie się wycofać, ale nie doszło do tego.

Pytał dalej: "Który?"

Powiedziałem: "Michaela Jacksona".

Brak reakcji ... po prostu cisza.

Później to do niego dotarło ... "Michaela Jacksona!?"

"Michaela Jacksona?"- powtórzył, zdając sobie teraz sprawę z tego, co właśnie powiedziałem.

Powiedziałem: „Tak."

Zajęło mu kilka sekund, zanim to wszystko ogarnął.

"Wiedziałem, że cię znałem ... jesteś w tym miesiącu na okładce magazynu ‘Keyboard Magazine’!"


Dostał bzika, powiedział, żebym poczekał i wybiegł z toalety. 30 sekund później przyszedł cały zespół! Zebraliśmy się w korytarzu przy toalecie. Byli bardzo podekscytowani spotkaniem ze mną, ale zastanawiali się, dlaczego byłem w Saginaw w Michigan. Wyjaśniłem, że przyjechałem do domu na święta. Poprosili o jakieś wskazówki. Powiedziałem im, że grają tylko jedną z dwóch linii basowych w utworze „The Way You Make Me Feel”. Wyjaśniłem im, jak to grać poprawnie. Podziękowali mi i poszli zagrać kolejną partię utworów. Wyszedłem, zanim skończyli.

Dalsze próby

Na następny etap trasy koncertowej, Michael chciał przygotować więcej piosenek z albumu "Bad". Pzekazał mi instrukcje związane z zaprogramowaniem synclaviera na dodatkowe piosenki. Byłem może na jednej, albo dwóch próbach wstępnych. We wstępnej fazie, moja praca polegała na programowaniu synclaviera, wprowadzaniu wszystkich dźwięków, które stworzyłem na albumie „Bad” i wykonywaniu wszystkich tych części, bez bębnów, gitary, basu i niektórych partii klawiszy. Nie było żadnej presji. Dlatego przez mniej więcej tydzień pracowałem w moim studiu nad programowaniem synclaviera. Musiałem też jeździć do domowego studia Michaela i pobierać różne dźwięki z taśm-matek, używanych podczas nagrywania albumu „Bad”. Wiele dźwięków było już w synclavierze. Greg Phillinganes, teraz oficjalnie dyrektor muzyczny, przychodził wieczorami po próbie do mojego studia, żeby przekazać mi najświeższe informacje na temat aranżacji i tempa piosenek i tego, kto grał jakie części. Nagrywał też próby, więc słyszałem, co się działo.

Największym wyzwaniem dla mnie było zmodyfikowanie dźwięków i sekwencji, żeby dopasować je do znacznie szybszego tempa, w jakim zespół grał na żywo, w porównaniu do tempa piosenek na płycie. Przedtem nie było technologii przyspieszania i spowolniania dźwięków bez zmiany tonacji. Musiałem wgłębić się w system i z chirurgiczną precyzją ciąć niektóre wykonania, nuta po nucie, sylaba po sylabie i umieszczać każdą na oddzielnych ścieżkach w synklavierze, dzięki czemu mogłem przyspieszyć tempo bez jakiejkolwiek widocznej zmiany rzeczywistej tonacji poszczególnych części. Ten proces był prawdziwym nadwerężaniem mózgownicy, a czasu na wykonanie tego zadania było bardzo mało. Przez ostatnie trzy dni programowania, nie miałem nawet czasu na spanie!

Wiedziałem, że będzie przerwa w koncercie, żeby Michael odpoczął i w tym czasie każdy z członków zespołu będzie mógł coś zagrać. Skoro wszyscy byli tacy utalentowani i każdy zamierzał zagrać jakąś solówkę, zdecydowałem, że moje solo powinno być inne, a przewagę da mi wykorzystanie technologii. Pomyślałem: "Dlaczego nie stworzyć jakiegoś tanecznego remiksu!" Zamierzałem wyjść z zasłony dymnej z SynthAxe i zagrać jakieś nietypowe dźwięki w czadowym rytmie, tylko z Rickym grającym na perkusji. Zsamplowałem odgłosy eksplozji, rozbijanego szkła, głosy, dźwięki klaksonu, itp. Kończyłem solówkę odgłosem wybuchu bomby atomowej. Pomyślałem, że urządzę wszystkim głośnikom niskotonowym prawdziwy trening! Michael powiedział mi później na trasie, ze moje solo podobało mu się najbardziej. Hurra!

Nadszedł dzień, kiedy musieliśmy to wszystko złożyć w całość. Mój technik, Mitch, przyjechał do mojego studia, zabrał twarde dyski i zainstalował je w synclavierach Michaela, w sali prób. Załadowałem materiał. Pojawił się zespół.

Byli tam Quincy Jones i Donny Osmond. Ricky odliczył przed pierwszą piosenką i ... ŁAŁ! Brzmienie było zdumiewające! Zespół był zaskoczony wszystkimi dodatkowymi dźwiękami, którymi synclavier wzbogacił brzmienie zespołu, a ja po raz pierwszy słyszałem grę całego zespołu. Quincy uznał, że to brzmiało świetnie, szczególnie instrumenty dęte! Później wszystkie urządzenia zostały rozmontowane, żeby przewieźć je do Pensacola Civic Center w Pensacoli na Florydzie. Pierwsze próby odbywały się w Universal Studios, ale Michael nie mógł ponownie skorzystać z tego studia, ponieważ było zajęte. Postanowiono, że kolejne próby będą się odbywały w Civic Center Pensacola.

Trasa w USA: 23.02.1988 – 06.05.1988

Przyjechaliśmy do Pensacola i zatrzymaliśmy się w nowym hotelu na plaży. Hotel był tak nowy, że nie był jeszcze oficjalnie otwarty. Piaszczysta plaża była bardzo ciekawa, ponieważ piasek był czarny.

Spędzaliśmy czas na próbach nowych piosenek i dopracowywaniu szczegółów. Michael miał do nas dołączyć w ciągu tygodnia, ale się nie pojawił. Zespół dobrze przećwiczył piosenki, więc dla zabicia czasu, próbowaliśmy piosenkę „Speed Demon”. Brzmiała wspaniale! Mieliśmy nadzieję, że spodoba się Michaelowi i zechce ją wykonywać.

Kierownictwo dało nam kilka dni wolnych, ale pech chciał, że bardzo się rozchorowałem. Cały ten czas spędziłem w łóżku. Nie mogłem nawet jeść!

Kiedy zaczęliśmy ponownie próby, byłem bardzo słaby. Później oznajmiono, że przyjechał Michael i jest w drodze do Civic Center, więc zdecydowaliśmy się zagrać trochę nowego materiału, kiedy tam dotarł. Michael wkroczył do Civic Center z Mary Hart z programu ‘Entertainment Tonight’, między dwoma rzędami umundurowanych policjantów i w towarzystwie kamer telewizyjnych ... co za wejście! Graliśmy, podczas gdy Mary Hart przeprowadzała wywiad z Michaelem.

Trochę później, na prywatnym spotkaniu w jego garderobie, Michael powiedział mi, że piosenka „The Way You Make Me Feel” brzmiała świetnie, a „Smooth Criminal” była lepsza niż na albumie i że musieliśmy ją nagrać ponownie! „Speed Demon” również mu się podobał, ale pomimo moich szczerych chęci do wykonywania tego utworu, Michael odmówił, ponieważ nie miał do niego żadnej choreografii. Szkoda ...

Michael sprowadził Siegfrieda i Roy’a, żeby opracowali dla niego kilka scenicznych sztuczek, które wyglądały bardzo ciekawie i nadawały koncertowi nowy wymiar.

Po tej przerwie na próby, byliśmy gotowi do rozpoczęcia trasy koncertowej w Stanach Zjednoczonych. Pierwszy koncert miał miejsce 23 lutego 1987 roku w Kansas w stanie Missouri. Koncert „Bad”był teraz większy niż kiedykolwiek, z kilkoma nowymi piosenkami, nową choreografią i nową sceną.

Nad sceną pojawił się olbrzymi podświetlany billboard, który pokazywał animację nóg i stóp Michaela, wykonujących moonwalk i obrót. To rozpoczynało koncert. Musiałem wprowadzić do synclaviera jego kroki. Z zastosowaniem telewizji przemysłowej, mogłem monitorować animację stóp Michaela i synchronicznie odtwarzać dźwięki jego stóp na klawiaturze synclaviera. Bardzo fajne!

Na naszym pierwszym koncercie w Kansas, pod wpywem ciężaru zerwało się kilka lin podtrzymujących tę tablicę świetlną. Okazało się, że całkowity ciężar systemu głośników, które zwieszały się z sufitu i dużego billboardu, przekraczały dopuszczalne normy obciążenia większości sal koncertowych! Zdecydowano, że tablica świetlna zostanie, a usunie się kilka głośników. Byłem temu przeciwny, ponieważ uważałem, że dźwięk jest ważniejszy, ale nie miałem w tej sprawie nic do powiedzenia. No cóż!

Jakąś godzinę przed ostatnim koncertem w Kansas, Michael zawołał mnie do garderoby. Powiedział, że skoro do kolejnych koncertów w Nowym Jorku było ponad tydzień, muszę polecieć rano do Nowego Jorku i pojechać do studia Hit Factory, żeby ponownie nagrać „Smooth Criminal”! Poprosił mnie, żebym poinformował o tym wszystkich, tak, żeby mogli wszystko zorganizować. Oczywiście wszyscy oszaleli! Mój asystent, Mitch planował wrócić do domu na kilka dni, ale musiał z tego zrezygnować. Synclaviery musiały być tego wieczoru, po koncercie wywiezione ciężarówkami i wysłane oddzielnie do Nowego Jorku! Wydawało się, że Michael zawsze miał mnie do tego rodzaju komunikacji, więc kierownictwo nie bardzo mnie lubiło!

Kiedy przyjechałem do Hit Factory w Nowym Jorku, byli tam już Mitch i Bruce Sweden. Synclavier był przygotowany do pracy, a Bruce miał wszystkie nagrania „Smooth Criminal”. Odwrócił się do mnie i powiedział: "Nagrywałem to już dwa razy. Nie wiem, co Michael chce usłyszeć”. Michael miał przyjechać do studia, ale zmienił zdanie. Bawił się gdzieś z jakimiś przyjaciółmi. Powiedziałem Bruce'owi, że wiem, co Michael chce usłyszeć, więc Bruce powiedział: "W takim razie, miksuj to".

Ponownie nagraliśmy piosenkę na synklavierze, a ja ją zmiksowałem. Michael powiedział, że będzie w swoim apartamencie, więc powinniśmy przynieść do apartamentu magnetofon, wzmacniacz i głośniki, żeby usłyszał końcowy miks. Wszyscy byli zaniepokojeni tym, jak Michael zareaguje na nowy miks. Byłem pewien, że zrobiłem to tak, jak tego chciał, ze względu na naszą pracę u niego w domu. Musieliśmy wynająć wiele urządzeń i wysłać je do apartamentu Michaela. Miał tam studio taneczne z wysokimi sufitami, tam więc ustawiliśmy sprzęt. Wszystko było gotowe, kiedy wszedł Michael.

Przywitał się i chciał posłuchać utworu. Bruce włączył piosenkę. Michael natychmiast zaczął tańczyć! To był dobry znak! Tańczył do samego końca. Potem powiedział: "To jest wspaniałe! Brzmi tak, jak powinno brzmieć ". Następnie odwrócił się i wyszedł! Wszyscy odetchnęli z ulgą. Ta mieszanka była wykorzystywana w późniejszych wydaniach albumu „Bad”. Zasadniczo była bardziej dynamiczna i wyrazista niż pierwsza wersja. Moja praca przy tworzeniu tego remiksu nigdzie nie została odnotowana.

3 marca 1988 roku, Michael dał zamknięty koncert w Madison Square Garden w Nowym Jorku. Dowiedziałem się od mojego asystenta Mitcha, że w cieniu zza kulis, mój występ oglądała Madonna. Podobno była bardzo ciekawa, co robię z synclavierem. Zaciekawiło mnie to. Był tam Billy Joel, przywitaliśmy się i rozmawialiśmy trochę o synclavierze.Za kulisy przyszedł Paul Shaffer i zespół ‘Tonight Show’, a także członkowie zespołu ‘Earth Wind and Fire’. ŁAŁ!

Pamiętam inne interesujące doświadczenie z trasy Bad Tour. Graliśmy w Denver w Kolorado. To był pierwszy koncert. Podczas części tanecznej, odwróciłem się zbyt szybko i wyskoczył mi dysk! Skończyłem koncert bez problemu, ale czułem ból. Po koncercie, w garderobie, wyjaśniłem, co się stało, a jeden z garderobianych, który był masażystą powiedział, że zrobi mi masaż. Pracował nade mną przez pół godziny, a potem wszyscy wróciliśmy do hotelu. Wciąż czułem ból, więc zasnąłem w ubraniu.

Następnego ranka nie mogłem się ruszać! Zajęło mi około 15 minut dotarcie do telefonu przy moim łóżku, żeby po kogoś zadzwonić. Trochę spanikowałem, ponieważ musiałem tego wieczoru grać na koncercie! Dyrekcja przyszła do mojego pokoju. Byłem w rozsypce i cierpiałem. Spojrzeli na mnie i zapytali: "Co zamierzasz zrobić?" To było poważne. Moja rola na koncercie miała kluczowe znaczenie. Jeśli nie będę mógł wziąć w nim udziału, trzeba będzie przełożyć go na inny termin. Oznacza to stratę milionów dolarów i prawdopodobną lawinę pozwów! Nie, nikt tu nie wywiera presji!

Pomyślałem, że ważne jest zachowanie pozytywnego nastawienia, żeby każdy, bez panikowania, mógł wykonywać swoją robotę. Powiedziałem im, że jeśli znajdą mi kręgarza i jeśli on popracuje nade mną wystarczająco, tak, żebym mógł przynajmniej usiąść i podnieść prawą nogę na wysokość dwóch cali nad podłogę (na pedały EFX), mógłbym wziąć udział w tym koncercie. Zgodzili się i powiedzieli, że poinformują Mitcha, żeby dostosował do mnie sprzęt na scenie.

To był weekend, więc nie było łatwo znaleźć kręgarza, ale jeden przyjechał w ciągu godziny. Prawie zemdlałem, kiedy tylko przenosił mnie z łóżka na swój stół! Pracował nade mną przez cały dzień, ale późnym popołudniem mogłem usiąść i podnieść stopę o dwa cale! Przyjechała karetka, żeby zawieźć mnie na stadion. Pomyślałem, że mogę nie przeżyć tej jazdy z wybojami i zakrętami, nie było jednak tak źle.

Karetka pogotowia wjechała na stadion i zatrzymała się w pobliżu sektora gastronomicznego, w którym zespół muzyczny i cała ekipa spędzają wolny czas. Jeden z ochroniarzy Michaela wyciągnął mnie i posadził na wózku inwalidzkim. Poszliśmy prosto na scenę. Jeden z facetów z ochrony chwycił wózek inwalidzki i podniósł mnie na scenę! Mitch dostosował wszystko tak, że mogłem grać z wózka. Sprawdziłem wszystko i wszystko było jak trzeba, żebym mógł wystąpić.

Potem ktoś popchnął mnie do strefy gastronomicznej, gdzie zobaczyli mnie niektórzy z członków zespołu i się przestraszyli. "Co ci się stało ?!" Powiedziałem im, co się stało, ale nie ma problemu, mogę wystąpić na koncercie. Pytali, czy Michael o tym wiedział. Nie wiedziałem, czy ktoś mu powiedział.

Krótko po tym, ktoś przyszedł i podwiózł mnie pod garderobę Michaela, żebym tam poczekał. Tuż przed koncertem wszyscy członkowie zespołu przychodzili do jego garderoby i modliliśmy się, a później skandowaliśmy, mobilizowaliśmy naszą energię i skupienie na koncert. To był rytuał. Czekałem więc, całkiem sam, na korytarzu przed garderobą Michaela, siedząc na tym wózku. Usłyszałem kroki, to John Branca, adwokat Michaela. Jedna rzecz o Brance - jest twardy i nigdy nie widziałem, jak się uśmiecha. Zobaczył mnie i spytał: "Co ci się stało?" Niewiele myśląc, od razu wypaliłem ... „Poprosiłem Franka DiLeo o podwyżkę!” Branca spojrzał na mnie i na jego twarzy pojawił się uśmiech, zaczął się śmiać i poszedł.

Wkrótce otworzyły się drzwi do garderoby Michaela i wyszedł, Chucky, osobisty ochroniarz Michaela. To wielki, ale łagodny facet, który zawsze nosił smoking i cylinder. Bardzo surrealistyczne! W każdym razie, spojrzał na mnie i spytał: "Co ci się stało?" Odpowiedziałem od razu ... „Poprosiłem Franka DiLeo o podwyżkę!”. Wybuchnął śmiechem. Potem powiedziałem mu, co się stało i że bez żadnego problemu będę mógł wziąć udział w koncercie. Zapytał: "Czy Michael wie?" Ja na to: "Nie wiem". Chucky powiedział: "Poczekaj chwilę" i zamknął drzwi. Kilka sekund później, drzwi otwiera Michael. Był kompletnie zaskoczony! Wyglądało na to, że kierownictwo nic mu nie powiedziało. Michael zapytał: "Co ci się stało?" Powtórzyłem: "Poprosiłem Franka DiLeo o podwyżkę!" Michael wybuchnął śmiechem. Wepchnął mnie do swojej garderoby. Powiedziałem mu, co się stało i zapewniłem, że będę mógł wystąpić.

Po kilku minutach pojawił się zespół. Niektórzy wiedzieli co się stało. Niektórzy nie. Szybko wyjaśniłem, że nie ma problemu i że mogę wziąć udział w koncercie. Tak naprawdę, to wciąż odczuwałem silny ból. Odmówiliśmy naszą modlitwę i odprawiliśmy rytuał, ale tym razem było to szczególne. Greg Phillinganes powiedział, że jeśli ja w moim stanie mogę wziąć udział w koncercie, to wszyscy powinni grać najlepiej, jak potrafią, żeby okazać wsparcie. To było bardzo miłe z jego strony.

Szedłem wcześniej na scenę, kiedy zostałem przywitany, a może lepszym słowem byłoby, zaatakowany, przez tutejszego lekarza. Najwyraźniej jego praca tutaj była raczej nudna, skoro był tak podekscytowany, że być może trafił mu się pacjent. Powiedział: "Nie mam problemu, mam wszystkie rodzaje środków przeciwbólowych i morfinę!" Odpowiedziałem: "Nie, nie chcę żadnych leków." "Och, w porządku ... ale ... jeśli potrzebujesz, mam wszystkie rodzaje środków przeciwbólowych i morfinę!" "Jeszcze raz mówię, nie!" Co za konował! Był rozczarowany, że nie mógł mi zaaplikować mnóstwa leków! Powiedziałem: "To, czego potrzebuję, to dużo lodu na plecy". Przyniósł mi lód, ale potem powiedział: "Jeśli tego potrzebujesz, mam ......" JEJKU!

Zagrałem koncert bez problemów. Siedziałem i nie musiałem wykonywać żadnej choreografii, więc miałem najlepsze miejsce na stadionie!

Kilka dni później, podczas koncertu w Hartford w Connecticut, siedziałem na wysokim stołku. Następnego wieczora, używałem go tylko od czasu do czasu do podparcia, ale mogłem stać. Trzeciego wieczora, w ogóle nie potrzebowałem stołka, a kiedy szedłem na scenę ktoś z ekipy stwierdził: "Lepiej się czujesz!" Zapytałem: "Skąd wiesz?" Odpowiedział: "Z każdym dniem idziesz bardziej wyprostowany!"

Graliśmy w Minneapolis, rodzinnym mieście Prince’a. Wykupił wiele miejsc w pierwszym rzędzie dla siebie i swoich pracowników. Prince wyznawał zasadę, że gdy pojawia się publicznie, jego zespół muzyczny i inni członkowie jego świty musieli zwracać uwagę tylko na niego, ponieważ jest ... cóż ... Princem [Księciem]! Jak się okazuje, Sheila E, przyjaciółka Grega Phillinganesa, pracowała z Prince'em grając na perkusji i śpiewając. Na kilka godzin przed koncertem, Greg zobaczył Sheilę E i ją pozdrowił. Całkowicie go zignorowała, ponieważ była z Princem. Zirytowało to Grega, ponieważ uważał, że takie zachowanie jest absurdalne i powiedział reszcie zespołu, co się stało.

Kręciłem się po stadionie w strefie makijażystów i garderobianych. Muzycy i garderobiani rozbiegali się na wszystkie strony, poprawiając w ostatniej chwili kostiumy lub makijaż. Niespodziewanie nadszedł Prince, jego ochroniarz i Sheila E. Wszyscy na nich patrzyli. Postanowiłem, że spróbuję zniszczyć Prince’owi ‘przedstawienie’.

Wyobraźcie sobie taki widok ... Byłem w kostiumie scenicznym, ogromna czupryna, jakieś przewody zwisające ze mnie, wysokie buty w paski niczym zebra i makijaż wyglądający tak, jakby członek zespołu Kiss spotkał Kapitana EO. Opierałem się o ścianę z wyzywająco skrzyżowanymi ramionami ... a jestem wysoki! Wszyscy na nas patrzyli. Cała trójka przechodziła obok mnie, w odległości mniej więcej dwóch stóp [60 cm]. Spojrzałem bardzo poważnie na Prince’a i powiedziałem: "Co tam, ziomal!?" Odwrócił się powoli i spojrzał na mnie. Widziałem, że zaczyna się uśmiechać, jednak zachował spokój! Zespół wybuchnął histerycznym śmiechem. Prince, jego ochroniarz i Sheila E poszli dalej. Byłem taki bliski rozśmieszenia go! Ech!

Trasa po Europie: 23.05.1988 – 10.11.1988

Naszym następnym przystankiem był Rzym! Kiedy dotarliśmy na stadion Flaminino, byłem zaskoczony, widząc uzbrojone oddziały straży miejskiej otaczające stadion. Ponoć, kiedy David Bowie dał tam kilka koncertów, wybuchły zamieszki. Wydaje mi się, że policja nie chciała, żeby to się powtórzyło! Widziałem wojsko na lotnisku, z bronią i psami, a teraz tutaj. Obraz ten kompletnie nie pasował do grania muzyki. Bardzo dziwne doświadczenie.

Graliśmy koncert, myślę, że był to albo Turyn, albo Bazylea - dzisiaj czas i miejsca zaczęły się zacierać w mojej pamięci – kiedy doświadczyłem czegoś ciekawego. Koncert miał się rozpocząć za jakąś godzinę. Byłem całkiem sam, praktykowałem to często przed występem, żeby się do niego psychicznie przygotować. Znajdowałem się w jakimś odosobnionym miejscu w dole stadionu. Niedaleko, w głębi korytarza, była garderoba Michaela. Było cicho i w pobliżu nie było nikogo.

Nagle usłyszałem głosy i kroki. Zza rogu wyszła Elizabeth Taylor ze swoją świtą. Poznała mnie, gdyż Michael przedstawił nas sobie, kiedy kręcił film „Moonwalker” w Universal Studios. Zgubiła się i próbowała znaleźć garderobę Michaela. Podszedłem do drzwi garderoby Michaela. Zapukałem, a Michael wpuścił ich i zamknął drzwi. Wróciłem do mojego spokojnego miejsca, żeby się zrelaksować.

Kilka minut później usłyszałem, że ktoś idzie. Tym razem, tylko pojedyncze kroki. Zza rogu wyszła najpiękniejsza kobieta, jaką kiedykolwiek widziałem! To była Sophia Loren! Prawdopodobnie wyglądałem idiotycznie, stojąc tam z otwartymi ustami. Zobaczyła mnie i bardzo grzecznie zapytała, czy wiem, gdzie jest garderoba Michaela. Ponownie podszedłem do drzwi garderoby Michaela i zapukałem. Otworzył drzwi, Sophia weszła i drzwi się zamknęły. ŁAŁ! Pomyślałem sobie ... czy to się naprawdę wydarzyło?

Następnego dnia nagłówki gazet obwieszczały, że wiele lat temu Elizabeth Taylor i Sophia Loren pokłóciły się i od tamtej pory nie rozmawiały ze sobą. Najwyraźniej Michael je pogodził i teraz wszyscy byli przyjaciółmi! Ciekawe!

Graliśmy w Berlinie w Reichstagu, przy murze berlińskim. To było dziwniejsze niż w Rzymie. Wzdłuż całej ściany stało uzbrojone wojsko. Berlin Wschodni postanowił zorganizować swój własny koncert mniej więcej milę od muru, żeby powstrzymać ludzi przed zgromadzeniem się w pobliżu miejsca, w którym graliśmy, aby ludzie nie próbowali uciekać. Podczas koncertu kilka osób rzeczywiście uciekło! Wartownicy z Berlina Wschodniego zauważyłi biegnącą pomiędzy murami kobietę. Przygotowywali się do strzelania do niej! Kobieta zaczęła krzyczeć, żeby nie strzelali, że była z dzieckiem! Skupiły się na niej kamery telewizyjne, więc wartownicy ją puścili! Ponownie tego rodzaju działania toczyły się wokół nas, a wszystkim, czego my chcieliśmy, było tylko granie muzyki. Świat jest szalony!

Michael został wpisany do Księgi Rekordów Guinnessa za ustanowienie nowego rekordu frekwencji, kiedy zagrał pierwszy z siedmiu koncertów na stadionie Wembley w Londynie w Anglii. W koncertach wzięło udział 504 000 fanów, bijąc rekord wcześniej należący do zespołu „Genesis”. Zapotrzebowanie na bilety przekroczyło 1,5 miliona, co wystarczyłoby na wypełnienie, ponad 20 razy, stadionu liczącego 72 000 miejsc. Za kulisami spotkałem Robina Williamsa i Erica Claptona!

Na kolacji po występie, Nathan East, stary przyjaciel i ówczesny basista zespołu Erica, powiedział mi, że siedział z Ericem na koncercie. Kiedy wykonywałem moje solo na SynthAxe, Eric dostał bzika, zerwał się na nogi i zapytał Nathana: "Co on robi?" Byłem zaskoczony! Widocznie moje solo poruszyło Erica Claptona! Super!!

Graliśmy w Rotterdamie w Holandii. Byłem naprawdę znudzony siedzeniem w moim pokoju hotelowym. Wyjście na zewnątrz nie było zalecane, ponieważ przed hotelem czekały setki fanów Michaela. Miałem już dość hotelowego jedzenia i powiedziano mi, że dwie przecznice dalej jest McDonald. Postanowiłem zaryzykować i spróbować dotrzeć do McDonalda.

Pamiętajcie, że w tym czasie miałem długie włosy, sięgające poniżej pasa, wyglądałem jak muzyk i byłem potencjalnym celem dla fanów. Zapytałem w hotelu, czy jest gdzieś tylne wyjście. Pokazali mi drzwi wychodzące na boczną uliczkę obok hotelu. Problem polegał na tym, że musiałem przejść przez główną ulicę i następną przecznicę, żeby dostać się do McDonalda. Gdybym mógł przejść przez ulicę, nie będąc widzianym, najgorsze miałbym za sobą. Przejście było usytuowane z dala od tłumu, pomyślałem więc, że jeśli szybko przejdę, pozostanę niezauważony.

Jakże się myliłem! Kiedy byłem mniej więcej w połowie drogi po drugiej stronie ulicy, ktoś z tłumu zobaczył mnie i zaczął wrzeszczeć! Nagle cała grupa ludzi stała się motłochem i wszyscy zaczęli mnie gonić! Zacząłem biec do McDonalda tak szybko, jak tylko mogłem! Wbiegłem do środka, podbiegłem do lady i gorączkowo poprosiłem o możliwość skorzystania z tylnego wyjścia. Byli zaskoczeni, ale wskazali drogę. Wybiegłem tylnymi drzwiami. Jestem pewien, że tłum wpadł do McDonalda i zapewne wszystkich wystraszył! Pobiegłem dookoła bloku, z powrotem w tę samą uliczkę i wpadłem do hotelu z trudem łapiąc oddech. Personel hotelu patrzył na mnie tak, jakbym był naprawdę dziwny! Odtąd przebywałem w pokojach hotelowych.

29 sierpnia 1988 roku, w dniu swoich 30-tych urodzin, Michael występował w Leeds w Anglii, kiedy 90 000 fanów zaśpiewało mu "Happy Birthday", podczas gdy my towarzyszyliśmy im, grając.

Trasa w USA: 26.09.1988 -13.11.1988

Jednym z miłych wspomnień, które zachowałem, był koncert w Detroit w stanie Michigan, w Palace Auburn Hills. Jestem z Saginaw w stanie Michigan, więc moja rodzina i wielu moich starych znajomych przyszło na ten koncert. Przyjechałem nawet po moich rodziców, brata i jego żonę długą, białą limuzyną do hotelu i zabrałem ich na koncert! Wspomniałem Michaelowi, że moi rodzice przybyli na koncert, więc przed występem Michael poprosił moich rodziców, mojego brata i jego żonę, żeby przyszli do jego garderoby. Rozmawialiśmy przez kilka minut i zrobiliśmy zdjęcie. Koncert bardzo im się podobał!

Trasa w Japonii: 09.12.1988 – 26.12.1988

Pojechaliśmy ponownie do Japonii, na dziewięć dodatkowych wyprzedanych koncertów w Tokyo Dome. Wspaniale było wrócić do Japonii. Miałem tam wielu przyjaciół od czasu naszego ostatniego pobytu. Japonia poruszyła czułą strunę w moim sercu. Po zakończeniu trasy wracałem tam przez wiele lat, spędzając pół roku w Japonii i pół w Stanach Zjednoczonych, zajmując się produkcją nagrań i doradztwem. Na tym etapie trasy w Japonii spotkałem moją przyszłą żonę. Była profesjonalnym tłumaczem menadżerów scenicznych.

Teraz mieszkam w Japonii!

Ostatnie koncerty w Los Angeles: 16.01.1989 – 27.01.1989

Trasa dobiegała końca. Trwała około 16 miesięcy. Daliśmy 123 koncerty dla 4,4 miliona fanów w 15 krajach. Kiedy się zakończyła, łączny dochód z niej wyniósł 125 milionów dolarów. Efektem trasy koncertowej były też dwa nowe wpisy do Księgi Rekordów Guinnessa – najbardziej dochodowa trasa koncertowa w historii i trasa z największym udziałem publiczności.

Pamiętam ostatni występ w Los Angeles na Sports Arena. Już prawie zakończyliśmy to historyczne wydarzenie. Zbliżaliśmy się do końca koncertu. Tłum był pełen energii, a my graliśmy naprawdę dobrze! Wtedy zauważyłem, że cała scena zaczęła się trząść! Nie wiedzieliśmy, co się dzieje! Jak się okazało, podczas gdy zespół kłaniał się po "Man In The Mirror", o 22:54 miasto nawiedziło trzęsienie ziemi o sile 5,0 stopni. Jakież wspaniałe zakończenie trasy!

Końcowe przemyślenia

Latem 1990 roku, po wykonaniu niewielkiej pracy przy nadchodzącym albumie „Dangerous”, zdecydowałem, że mój czas z Michaelem dobiegł końca. Musiałem iść dalej. Moi przyjaciele uważali, że zwariowałem, gdy odchodziłem, ponieważ zarabiałem masę pieniędzy. Nie potrafili zrozumieć, że życie to coś więcej niż tylko pieniądze i sława. Poinformowałem Michaela, że odejdę. Był zaskoczony. Myślę, że nikt wcześniej nie odszedł od niego z własnej woli. Powiedziałem mu, że jeśli naprawdę będzie mnie potrzebował, pomogę mu, ale muszę podążać własną ścieżką artystyczną. Uszanował to. Zadzwonił do mnie kilka razy, kiedy nie mógł czegoś znaleźć i to był ostatni raz, kiedy z nim rozmawiałem.

Przeprowadziłem się do Japonii pod koniec kwietnia 2009 roku. 26 czerwca dowiedziałem się, że Michael Jackson zmarł. Początkowo nie wierzyłem, ale bardzo szybko okazało się, że rzeczywiście odszedł. Byłem w szoku przez kilka dni. Zawsze myślałem, że kiedyś znów będziemy razem pracować. Teraz jasne jest, że jeśli to zrobimy, to nie na ziemi.

Napisałem swoje przemyślenia na mojej stronie internetowej i nigdy publicznie – aż do teraz - nie mówiłem o moich doświadczeniach związanych z Michaelem.

Z mojej strony internetowej ...

Michael Jackson - 26/06/09

Świat dziś zubożał, tracąc Michaela. Pracując z nim blisko 17 godzin na dobę, przez ponad trzy i pół roku, poznałem go dobrze i szanowałem jego wielki talent. Nigdy nie było nudno. Ilekroć byliśmy razem w studiu, zachowywaliśmy się jak dzieciaki, zawsze się wygłupiając. Nie wiem, jak udawało nam się jeszcze pracować, ale pracowaliśmy. Praca z Michaelem podniosła moje standardy jakości w nagrywaniu muzyki. Był bardzo wymagający, zawsze inspirujący i zawsze zabawny! Nie tylko zmienił sposób, w jaki tworzyłem muzykę, zmienił moje życie. Był moim przyjacielem i bardzo będę za nim tęsknił. Chociaż przeniósł się, żeby robić większe i wspanialsze rzeczy w tym wszechświecie, jego energia pozostanie tu, na ziemi, żeby wszyscy ludzie mogli ją poczuć i doświadczyć poprzez jego muzykę.

Nieskończenie wdzięczny

Christopher Currell

Autor tłumaczenia: kato

Masz uwagi do tekstu? Podoba Ci się tłumaczenie? A może zauważyłeś błąd? Napisz!

Please leave following field blank:


15/11/17 00:15 ♥ Jolanta ♥
Wspaniale czyta się takie wspomnienia chociaż nie pochodzą bezpośrednio od Michaela, jednak dają nam wyobrażenie o ogromnym przedsięwzięciu jakim jest taka trasa koncertowa. To,że możemy o tym się dowiedzieć tgo Twoja zasługa ...kato...dziękuję :)